Need help with studio monitor placement

hundrikz

Hello!

I been struggling to find good placement for my studio monitor setup and decided to ask help here. My room has a big window, 3 doors and a wardrobe. I have acoustic curtains to block the window, bass traps in 2 corners and some acoustic panels in walls and doors.

What would be the best spot for the speakers in your opinion ?
Floor Plan.png

Last edited:
Without being in the room to assess its layout and sonic properties, I can say that there’s no one perfectly correct answer. In a non purpose-built room, conventional wisdom says to put your mix area and speakers on the short wall. Other pundits say the long wall is ok. I have done it both ways in different environments, often dealing with environmental geographical issues like yours— doors, widows, etc. I would suggest that you try the opposite wall from the window, but also definitely bass trap all corners including the exposed wardrobe side.

Leave enough space between the wall and your desk/monitors, and make sure that you have a decent listening triangle established. If you are not getting the sound you want (monitoring is difficult, mixes are muddy, etc.), change some things around until you find what you are looking for. Be wary of the window and the door; sympathetic vibration (“rattling”) might occur if they are not insulated and sealed properly.

If you need more room treatment, experiment with placement based on your “sweetspot” in the listening triangle (hold a mirror up at different angles in front of your face in the sweetspot; what you see is where to start placing treatment for unwanted reflections).

Adding things like heavy chairs and bookcases can help (mass will help bass trap, odd relatively soft corners can act as diffusors).

I hope it works out. Setting up a control room can be a bee-haj.

GJ

Last edited:
Without being in the room to assess its layout and sonic properties, I can say that there’s no one perfectly correct answer. In a non purpose-built room, conventional wisdom says to put your mix area and speakers on the short wall. Other pundits say the long wall is ok. I have done it both ways in different environments, often dealing with environmental geographical issues like yours— doors, widows, etc. I would suggest that you try the opposite wall from the window, but also definitely bass trap all corners including the exposed wardrobe side.

Leave enough space between the wall and your desk/monitors, and make sure that you have a decent listening triangle established. If you are not getting the sound you want (monitoring is difficult, mixes are muddy, etc.), change some things around until you find what you are looking for. Be wary of the window and the door; sympathetic vibration (“rattling”) might occur if they are not insulated and sealed properly.

If you need more room treatment, experiment with placement based on your “sweetspot” in the listening triangle (hold a mirror up at different angles in front of your face in the sweetspot; what you see is where to start placing treatment for unwanted reflections).

Adding things like heavy chairs and bookcases can help (mass will help bass trap, odd relatively soft corners can act as diffusors).

I hope it works out. Setting up a control room can be a bee-haj.

GJ

Thanks for the tips! Gonna try these out.

Back