Need Help With Sound Aspect of Setup.....

T

tech

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how I'm going to listen to my work........I only have one fairly small room to work with so there's no way I'm gonna get good acoustics and I don't live alone so I can't blow the roof off my place either.......I know that good headphones can only get me so far as they are not very accurate in terms of space and such.........does anyone have a setup in which they get fairly accurate sound in a smaller room without shaking the building? In other words, are there any tips or tricks to minimize noise(soundproofing) without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars......or even any alternatives for mastering mixes. Any info along these lines would help.....thanx! :)

sound proofing can be achieved by hanging things like long curtains or rugs on the walls... also bookcases filled with books is a good way of soundproofing. A lot of the hifi magazines have information on sound proofing rooms.

Either that... or TURN YOUR BASS DOWN :P

My room is about 8 x 12ft (W x L) with a set of B&W 601S2's at one end of the room pointing lengthways down the room towards my decks (x being a speaker below)
-------------------------
| x
|
|
| x
-------------------------

The only walls that shake is the fake wall on the right side of the room and the floor...

Try moving your speakers around and see what effect it has, also, put things on spikes... this will minimise vibrations from the kit down into the floor and consequently into the walls.

Last edited:
I recently made some sound proofing measures for my small studio....basically its a cheap (but nice) rug from IKEA with 3 layers of thick felt behind it. The whole lot is tacked onto a wooden batten at the top which is hidden when its on the wall, since the whole thing hangs over it. This hooks onto the wall from brass fixtures. For aesthetic effect it has a spotlight at the top which spreads its light down it. Not only does it work - it looks damn nice too....it covers a big wall opposite the speakers - so it stops early reflections and stops it going through the wall so easily. Im planning on making another from the offcuts (i only used half of the rug).

Back