Need Help purchsinga soundcard for a mostly software based studio

rokuez

Need Help purchsinga soundcard for a mostly software based studio.

i have a intel 2.4 cpu w/ a ecs 848 mobo with onboard audio lan soundcard, 512 ram, 200 gb hd, 5200 geforce, and an edirol pcr-50 midi controller. Should i get another 512 of ram?

As for my listening devices i have a pair of sony mdr-v600's that are from 2001. i want to buy http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020120501 AKG K 501 for producing, mixing,mastering. Is this a good set of head phones?

I use cubase sx, reason, acid, and a grip of vsti, and samples.

I need a Sound card that does the following Rite now.
1) low latency below 15 ms while recording.
2) will play sounds high quality so that my good headphones can receive the signal at its clearest quality or whateva.

do you have to have headphones for any reason? can you not get a pair of monitors? cause its not recommended to mix or master using headphones. i would save up an extra $150 and get any of the monitors priced at around $300 like the behringer truths or alesis prolinears.

as far as the computer, definately go for the extra 512 and while youre at it you might want to throw in one more if your mobo can handle it. get a new hard drive, nothing huge (around 80 gigs), for your audio drive.

how many ins and outs do you need on your sound card? theres plenty of them that will give you that kind of performance with your current computer. look into the m-audio audiophile 2496 and the e-mu 0404. they're both $100 and with give you good performance if you only need a couple ins and outs. probably the next step up from those is the e-mu 1212 which has the same A/D converters as the protools hd series.

okay I have a new important question the emu 1212 and the emu 1820m have the same hardware on board? except the 1820m comes with that like pre amp box. So economically speaking if you buy the emu1212 you are getting a great deal, but when you get the emu 1820m you are kind of getting a good deal but it still has the emu 1212 basic card hardware?

the cards for the 1212 and the 1820m are not the same. for the 1820m the second card is a dsp effect card, meaning you can use e-mu's plugins in hardware during recording and/or playback so you dont use up your cpu running all kinds of plugins. the only problem is you can only use e-mu's plugins, no vst's, and unless you really need the preamps the 1212 will be fine.

Last edited:
audiophile 24/96 firewire is the ****!

I love mine and since you'll be using headphones youll like the direct headphone jack and volume control.

since its mostly software based you wont need too many ins/outs the audiophile firewire should suffice.

You can get it incredibly cheap also 200 dollars (or less if you have connections) at guitar center.

another good thing is the firewire is powered so it wont be getting drained by running headphones/monitors directly into it.

Peace

hmm i forgot to mention i have an edirol pcr 50 and there is just a ps2 midi out/in no serial midi out or serial plug in for the serial. would i be able to just plug the edirol into my mobos usb and get like 2 ms latency with the emu 1820m 1212m or that maudio firewire? Or would I have to plug it in through the usb ps2 part?

Echo Gina/24

4ms of latency on its lowest buffer setting.

How is that?

I dont hear hiss or noise in mine. I recommend it fully.

BTW! It works perfectly with Cubase

Last edited:
Back