Need help on Midi Setup

yaron

Hi guys.. hope this is the right forum for this problem..
anyway, im trying to hook up my Yamaha PSR-260 Keyboard to my PC - I use Reason 1.0 at the moment - and it doesn't work.
The operating system (Win XP) recognizes the midi port (MPU-401 compatible) but i get no midi input signal. I've tried all 16 possible channels and it's still no good. what could be the problem? (I don't think Reason is the problem cuz i also tried to get midi input with SoundForge - no success)
plz HELP!!!

hi
check your cable connections, 'MIDI out' from PC must go to 'MIDI in' of the PSR and vice versa... this could be the problem.
If it still don't work, check the MIDI Transmit Channel on your PSR and set it to the MIDI channel that you are using in Reason...

thanks, but i don't think that is the problem... the midi in/out are well connected and i tried to receive midi input on each of the 16 midi channel (in the Reason preference settings) and still- no luck..
i assume that the midi cable is ok cuz it's brand new, so what else could be the problem?

first of all, never assume anything is ok just because its new. this is a common mistake people can make, especially on leads.

you need to have the OUT on the psr connected to the IN on the computer and also check that the PSR is set up to output midi information, lots of equipment has an option to turn it off to prevent a big soup of midi info.
if this still doesnt work and another lead doesnt do it, i woudl assume that you must have some sort of filter switched on on the computer.
i only use hardware so cant really help much with the computer part, maybe you can ask for specific help on teh computer section or something.
good luck though.

well, i figured out the OUT to IN part myself...:) however - you're right about the MIDI cable- guess i'll have to use my voltmeter (thought i wouldn't ever have to use it after i graduate.... ), or try another cable....

cheers

SOLVED IT!!!

well - i went to the music shop to find out whether or not my cable was any good - and they told me that my midi i/f is probably the problem, so i got a MIDI2USB cable instead and it rocks like a monster !!! :p
well- gotta go back to REASON :-))
thanks again

Back