Need help with midi connection plz

hatembr

Hi !!

I have a:
- Korg M1 (midi: In Out Thru)
-Yamaha QY700 Seq/Sound module (midi: 2xIn 2xOut)
-Roland JV880 (midi: In Out Thru)
-Sound Blaster Live Platinum (midi: In Out Thru)

Who can help me connecting these devices so that everything get syncronized and to have a total control over them.

thanks

hi there,
i am not too clear about what you are trying to do as you mention a hardware sequencer and a computer card with midi.
midi only transfers timing info, instrument commands and note info. it doesnt contain any sound.
i will assume that you are using your qy700 for sequencing and your computer for recording audio etc.
in this case you will wan tto conect the midi out on your qy700 to the in on either the M1 or the jv880. then connect the thru on this to the other instrument ie whatever is left.
you shoudl then set up each instrument so that omni mode is off ( ie so that it doesnt recieve on every channel) and then give them distinct midi channel numbers. this will be doen through their menus. make the m1 2 for example and the jv880 3.
you should then connect the audios from these all into your soundblaster (preferably through a mixer ) and thats you. if you want to use a keyboard as a mster keyboard for the qy700, all you do is pick which you like the most and puts its midi out to the in on the qy700.
holla if you need to ask anything more ok.

great

Well, what i was wondering is what is the best to do:

m1 controls the qy700 and the jv880
or
qy700 controls m1 and jv880

qy700 has grooves, rythms and is a sequencer, and can also work as a sound module

or the connections may change from one song to another depending on the needs...

that s it

hi there,
i personally think its best to run the m1 and the jv880 from the QY700 since the QY is a dedicated sequencer and thats what its designed to do. it might be easier to use the keyboard from the M1 to input notes into the qy700 depending on how hard the patterns you are making are.in this case you can put the midi out from this into the qy700 and it will work like a master keyboard while the qy700 will sequence everything for your tracks.

so
here is what I thought of:

Out1(qy) > In(m1)
In1(qy) > Out(m1)

Thru(m1) > In(jv)

Out(jv) > In2(qy)

is that right ?

or should I do :

Ou1(qy) > In(m1)
In1(qy) > Out(m1)

this will let me input notes to qy
then..

Out2(qy) > In(jv)
In2(qy) > Out(jv)

this will let me sequence tracks for JV but...this way,
can I route notes input from M1 thru QY to the JV

sorry for the delay.
you are best to go with your first thoughts although the second way would also work (but leave the out on the jv disconnected from the qy)
the first way is probably most straight forward.
out on m1 - in on QY
out on QY - in on M1
thru on M1- in on JV
then you will be able to play keys on the M1 keyboard and it will either trigger internal sounds from the qy, play itself, or play the JV depending on what track on the QY you have it set on. the QY will be recording all note info though in this setup and everything will be slaved to it so pressing play etc on this will let you hear your loops.
what you need to do is assign individual midi channel IDs to each piece (jv on 3, M1 on 2).
then as you make up patterns, pick a track on the QY from 1 to 16 and in the menu, assign a midi channel to it depending on what you want it to do.the default will be each track number has the same midi number, ie track 1 outputs on midi channel 1, track 9 on midi channel 9. if you want your percussion on tracks 1-8, (and i assume you are using internal voices from the QY for this) then switch off midi output (ie.0) on each of these and leave the internal tone generator channel at default ie 1-1, 2-2 etc.
then if you want the jv to do a bass line on say track 9,in the menu switch off internal TG channel and change midi output channel from 9 to 3. then make sure the qy is still on track nine, when you play the M1 keyboard it will play the JV (make sure you have the m1 volume down to save hearing both). once you have got something, record it. if you press play on the QY you will hear your rhythms and the bass line loop.
now repeat for any lines you want playing from the M1 or other notes from the JV by selecting the next track up, switching the internal tone generator send off, selecting the relevant midi channel and recording it.
if you want more synth lines or chords from the internal sounds on the QY, just remember to select a blank track and turn off the midi output. thsi should get you going fine. good luck

sorry for my delay too and thanks a lot for the tutorial :)
i'll let you know on this thread if i still have problems ! :)....thanks

Back