Need Help with MIDI.

Deefex

dB Shifter
Hi, i just got my MIDI cables, they are the MIDI to the sound card ones. i'm trying to connect my computer to my yamaha DJX, but when like i open Cooledit or something, it's not really recording a key i press. So i figure i have some system configuring to do. where do i start? what do i need to do? And i also get nothing on Fruityloops.

thnx guys

Last edited:
Midi cables don't transmit the sound to the soundcard, they transmit midi information. If you're trying to record the output of the DJX to the soundcard, just plug the line out of the DJX into the line in of the sound card. If you're actually trying to record midi events, for instance to sequence something, then you need to set the midi input device for the program. Depending on what software you're using and what soundcard you have the way to do that is going to differ. For example, if you have an Soundblaster live, you would select 'SBLive Midi In' as your midi input. Make sure the right midi cable is in the right port. The midi out from the keyboard goes into the midi in on the soundcard. Good luck.

:( Are you saying that i can't get the nice bass sounds from my keyboard with these cables? i thought that these cables were what i needed to use my keyboard to get the sounds. :(
so i can throw them away?
:cry: :cry: :cry:

dont throw them away ... tie up your brother or sister.... midi does not transfer sound..... you need to plug in the line out of you keyboard into you sound card.

Keep the cables. Get a sequencing program like cakewalk and sequence with that. The djx memory gets reset when you pull the plug so you should be making your songs with something that can save them. Also, you can check out this site for stuff to help use your djx with your computer http://www.abstractreality.com/djx/tools/
I think there may be a way to steal the sounds from the djx and play them on your computer with one of those tools. If not, buy a cord that has a stereo 1/4 inch plug on one side and a 1/8 inch stereo plug on the other and record the audio output of the djx in the computer. Good luck.

damn man, i got cakewalk 9.03, read the things on that page and i am it's still not working. i'm trying to make a .mid file play on my keyboard.:confused:

Make sure you have the plugs in the right place. I had a cable that had the in and the out mis-marked. Also, make sure that the port on in cakewalk is set to midi out and not some internal synth. That may be the problem. Also, there are a few things you have to do to let the djx be controled by the computer. I don't remember what they are, but I think they're on that site. Let me know how things go.

What if I could tell you that you can have your sounds form your keyboard and you could use them through your midi cables. I had the same problem, but i learned how to overcome it and its very easy.

First you need to have your synth hooked up to your line-in connection on your sound card and your midi connection plugged in to. Go into something like wavlab or anything that lets you record. Select the Line in device to record from.

Now select the sound that you want to record. It is best to use a solid note(whatever you call it) like c4, c5, c6, ect. you can use any note, but choose the note that you will be playing close to. now press record and hit the note for however long you think you will need it to play in your song. Then hit stop and the wav file pops up.

You may need to cut any parts before the actual note is played to decrease delay in the time you press the key to the time is plays, you understand. and you may want to cut the end if there is no sound beeing played to decrease file size.

Now save the file as a wav or whatever you want as long as you can import it and play it in your sequencer. Now import it into your sequencer and wala! you got your sound and you can play it from your keyboard as a midi now. ITs very simple and easy. Plus you will be able to tweak it more and so more stuff to it. The only thing is that you will loose quality from higher to lower notes, but if you only play it in a short range you will have no problem. If you have to jump high to low notes, just record 2 notes, high and low, and work them out.

Hope that helped.

oh and you might get some noise from your line in so you may need to add a noise gate or a noise removal, just a thought.

thnx guys, i haven't been messing around with it these past couple of weeks, but i will buy a cable that's 1/8 a inch on one end and 1/4 on the other. i hope those are cheap. :D

MIDI is a lot of trouble, but it's worth it... so study up on it. And get that cable for recording (the 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch cable...) it should only be about 10 bucks or something... depending... but it will allow you to record.

Good luck. Just keep askin' questions if you have them... we'll try to answer them.

Back