Need help deciding on "monitors"

ImSceam

Hey guys,

Super broke producer here. I need to upgrade my speakers. I have some shitty $30 of logitechs right now and some decent headphones, I usually use my friends monitors or my labels to mix and master my tracks.
I need something that will do me a bit better.
My price range is about $150-$175 (lower is fine too).
So far I'm looking at the Logitech Speaker System Z623
or the Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506 (I would post links but I have a new account)
I'm not sure if I should go with the 5.1 surround sound, or just the basic 2.1 (I don't personally like using surround to mix) but you guys know best.
I know they are both terrible compared to actual monitors, maybe someone can point me to something better in my price range.
Let me know what's best.

Thanks!!

go to pawn shop/second hand shop and buy yourself some 2nd hand hi-fi speakers and an amplifier - will give you better than the logitechs and cost about the same

then save to spend a minimum of $600-$1500 for something that will be the next level up.....

Thanks for the suggestion. What do you mean by hi-fi?
I would want to make sure I really know what i'm looking for going into a pawn shop.

regular bookshelf type speakers nothing fancy but certainly better coverage than most gaming speakers in the same price range

I saw some Behringer's Truth monitors for $80 on Craigslists...
I got myself reference monitors - M-audio BX5 for $30 on Craigslist which are cool
Though sub for me is a must

So ... Craigslist :)

I saw some Behringer's Truth monitors for $80 on Craigslists...
I got myself reference monitors - M-audio BX5 for $30 on Craigslist which are cool
Though sub for me is a must

So ... Craigslist :)

Would a decent pair of Hi-Fi speakers off of craigslist do? As the person above mentioned for my price the sound quality would be better 2 decent Hi-Fi speakers. The ones I posted above are from Craigslist. How do you think those would do?

I honestly don't know what Hi-Fi speakers are...
I would check for any active monitors on Craigslist, there are people throwing away old decent monitors for less than $100, KRK's, M-audio, Behringer's, JBL's etc.

I really wouldn't want to waste my money on a pair of shitty monitors. Those would work for High Quality Mix downs tomkillsjerry?

I looked around in my Craigslist and didn't find much other than something like the pictures I posted above.

I can buy the 2 sony speakers I posted above for $125. What are your guys's opinion on those?

I mean your not going to get much at $175 unless its 175 each. but those are better than logitechs i used those before I bought my monitors during black friday. and im assuming that if you only have $175 for speakers you most likely dont have a treated room which is essential to High Quality mixing. what you want in your monitor speakers is, something that wont color the sound and give you a flat response. And remember you dont have to try and be a pro studio. you will only be disappointed. dont go broke trying to keep up with a multi billion dollar industry. write good songs and mix them the best you can. get a note book take notes on how it sounds in different environments. take your tracks and play them in the car on your phone on your laptop on your grandma old cabinet speakers form 1960. thats all mixing is trying to make sure you sound good on all the devices people digest media on.

yeah I have a Label with a great studio and sound engineers that do my full masters. I just need something better than my shitty $30 pair of logitechs to get a clean mix down with.
So you think those Sony Hi-Fi's would be better or the M-audio Monitors you linked Tomkillsjerry?

I'm in South lake Tahoe CA. Reno/Tahoe craigslist.

haha well damn those sonys will work. I know some guys who have the situation you have and mix on Beats headphones and let engineers work their magic in the studio.

Check out Fluid Audio's F5 ... They are affordable and solid! They go for 250 bucks a pair and deliver performance beyond their price point. Good transient response and a smooth mid to HF range.

Back