My monitors are killing me!! Stop the noise!!

T

TZA

I just bought a pair of Behringer Truth's near-fields, and hooked them up yesterday..
Now here's the reason why I'm starting to feel suicidal;

I hooked them up properly on unbalanced 1/4-jack's.. But they're picking up radiowaves!!! I can't figure out why the hell this is, cause I have no radio installed in my apartment??!!
Plus, I get a low hiss/electrical noise from them as well...

Wtf??

Could be crosstalk between wires you have near the Monitors or even power cord outlets etc. Do you have the studio Monitors to close to a computer monitor? That could be a factor also.

What kind of 1/4 cables are they? Make sure theyre instrument cables and not speaker cables, speaker cables give you alot more hiss. The low hiss is actually normal with cables, but you should be able to alleviate it. I use a xlr- 1/4 from my krk monitors and they sound nice for the most part

Yo, emcee..

Thx for replying..
There's a lot of wires in close proximity of the monitors.

Turntable
Keyboard
Comp
Mixer
Scanner
Comp-monitor

All of these are wired to the same outlet,thus having the wires close to one another...

I'm not sure if I can tell the diff between instrument and speaker cable, the cables i've plugged into my monitors are just large jack's, one-ring.. Do I make any sense with this??

Thx in advance

Besides, the Truth's are magnetically shielded to prevent interfering with computer monitors and such... That shouldn't be the problem..

its probably coming from your electrical outlet the ground on it is probably hook up wrong or somthing......

Yo Tza,

I have the same problem as you. I have the 2031a's. I e-mailed Behringer and here is what they had to say on the issue:

"B2031 Interference

If the B2031 is picking up hum and/or radio interference, here are two possible solutions:

1. Use a 3 to 2 prong adapter where the power cord is plugged into a power source.
2. Metal shielding for the PCB board is available as a spare part, and should be installed at a Service Center. This may or may not be available in the US.

Some other notes on the subject…

RFI problems are always tricky to diagnose and cure. The first thing that I would try is to slightly move your speakers. Doing this will sometimes block the problem frequency and fix your problem. If that does not work I would try out a UPS (Uninterrupted power supply) and these can be purchased at your local computer store. The one you would want to look for would include an RFI filter. If that does not fix your problem I would suggest contacting an electrician and consult with him about this matter. If the problem continues, we suggest that you call 425-672-0816 and ask for Customer Service, for help with a possible product repair."

I just got used to it because it is so low on mine and I can't hear it when I am playing anything through it and i like the monitor so much that i am willing to put up with it.

Good Luck,
Ski

its picking up radio wave all the time or just once in a while?

I dont think shielded cables would work. I think the actual speaker itself picks up the radio frequency.

I am not 100% sure on it, but thats just what I think.

any development on this? i am thinking about buying these in 3-4 days. please share your entire experience with me.

10x

Ski: Thx for sharing that e-mail with me, although I'm not sure what a 3 to 2 prong adapter is??

CubaseROX: Yes, it's picking up radio all the time...

and static: I just talked to the sales rep at the spot where I bought the Truth's, and he asked me to bring them in this weekend, so in a week I'll have some more updates on this..
But don't let this scare you, though, the Truth's are nice, it just makes it a bit difficult to sit things in the mix, when you have the Top 40 playing in the background ;)

try unplugging the audio cables to them and see if they still picks up noise...
do these monitors have balanced inputs for 1/4 or XLR.....if so using a balance cable may eliminate the problem. also the use of a pwr conditioner such as a furman PL8 or PRO may help...I have event PS6 speaks and my damn cell phone makes noise thru them occasionaly but no radio stations...

I'm getting crosstalk in my monitors in my current set up and I have MAudio BX8s, so I doubt it has anything to do with the truths

star9 said:
try unplugging the audio cables to them and see if they still picks up noise...
do these monitors have balanced inputs for 1/4 or XLR.....if so using a balance cable may eliminate the problem. also the use of a pwr conditioner such as a furman PL8 or PRO may help...I have event PS6 speaks and my damn cell phone makes noise thru them occasionaly but no radio stations...

I tried unplugging the audio wires, it makes no diff at all..
I even dragged one of the monitors into my living room, and hooked it up there, no audio wiring, only pwr supply. Same thing.
This **** is really driving me crazy.

Where can I find out more about those pwr conditioners you speak of??
- I live in Denmark, so it's probably not the same over here..

Btw, I'm using unbalanced 1/4, but the audio cables don't seem to be the prob. I'll probably try out balanced 1/4 anyways..

Your feedback so far is appreciated guys..

Back