My mixing room

tvanbaden

mixing.png

This is my private mixing / production room. I still have some bass troubles and was thinking about membrane absorbers. What do you guys think? Are membrane absorbers the way to go?

Tvan,

That's not a question that can be answered based on the information provided.

- How deep and powerful are your subs?
- What are the dimensions of the room?
- What acoustic treatment do you already have?
- What is the frequency response of your system in your room?
- What are the "bass troubles" that you are hoping to solve?

My room is flat from 60hz and above. Flat that it is within 200ms of room reverberation time (dropping at least 60dB within 200ms)

Spectrum is flat +- 10db. Could be a little better but is not causing problems in translation of the mixes.

Little dip around 80hz and a peak around 40hz that rings a little bit and drops under -60db after 700ms.

I have broadband/basstraps in the corners, early reflections and some diffusion. Room is 5meters x 7 meters x 3 meters.

I use one focal sub that matches the focal solo6be's. Some high/mid problems but that is from my desk and console. Not really a problem.

Overall sound is pretty cool but wouldn't trust the room to master in it because of sub bass problems. Speaker/sub placement is optimal at the moment.

I am questioning myself if I need more broadband/bass trapping or need to go and use membrane absorbers... and I wonder if that is effective...

Last edited:
Could you share graphs of your room response? Frequency and waterfall? Also, more pictures would be helpful.

Which Focal sub do you have?

A membrane absorber or Helmholtz resonator could help at 40 Hz, but it won't do anything for your dip at 80 Hz. A sub-facing parametric EQ could achieve the same results, but it's best to fix an acoustic problem in the acoustic domain.

If you use broadband absorption, it will help with the 40 Hz peak, the 40 Hz resonance, the 80 Hz dip, and any general bass resonance. If you have a lot of low frequency resonance, that would be a good place to start. But you'll have to build bigger and deeper to gain effectiveness. (That's where the membrane absorbers come in handy, since they don't need to be as deep.)

If I were you, I'd build 24"x24"x33" super chunk bass traps in as many of the vertical corners as you can. The smaller corner traps you have now could be repurposed for ceiling/wall corners. Then see if you have room for two or four 2'x4'x6" traps elsewhere in your room.

If you still have an issues on the very low end after adding more broadband absorption, then you could precision treat with a Helmholtz resonator or a membrane absorber.

It depends. I run the KRK setup with the compatible subwoofer, and it picks up lows relatively well. I recommend making sure the sub is compatible with the monitors

Back