Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My home studio setup

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    well after some time and years of searching for the perfect studio i think i found it

Emu ESI4000
    Korg Prophecy
    Casio CZ101 or yamaha DX100
    the new Mackie 16:4:2 vlz or the old one 1604

with a hootech DSP24 & ADC&DAC2000 soundcard
    sound forge, Acid, Vegas Audio & Cakewalk on the PC

I just think there is something missing from this setup, i was think about tone module for normal instruments

i left out that along with some turntable, a guitar and bass guitar are also going to be included, plus some vocals. and maybe some live brass

does anyone think i've left out some stuff ? i am a breakbeat, hip hop producer, so i find this a prefect setup
    SILD SILD SILD.......
    SIlD?

Thanks
    aha ! u missed out on the BBE Maximiser
    [url=http://www.brutalbybirth.com][img]http://futureproducers.com/assets/banners/sponsor_14_tuhin_label_release.gif[/img][/url]

Thanks
    1) Emu = E-MU, hehe
    Very cool device!
    Why take the yamaha DX-100 when you can get the Casio CZ101. It's way cooler!

You'll only get 9 voice of AM synth polyphony. But, what the heck, you're a hip/hop & breakbeat producer.

It's a good setup.
    So we identify horses... with ultra!
    choons from < 2001 http://www.mp3.com/ChrissT
    Sincerely Dj Chriss
    det ska' vi da ha', ska' vi da ha'!

Thanks
    My dream setup:
    Yamaha RS7000
    Novation Supernova
    Novation Super Bass Station
    Korg Prophecy
    Mackie mixer
    Maximiser or a good compressor

Hoonthech DSP24 & ADC&DAC2000 soundcard for "HD" recording
    Sincerely Dj Chriss

Thanks

Question Hey Ade how come you didn't tell me you where a hiphop producer?

In any of my posts, I would'ov taken your responses double importance. Anyways, How long have you been producin? Can you write beside all the names of what type/peice of equipment program it is? I can't tell by the names...How much do each of these peices cost roughly, I won't a perfect studio for hiphop too. It seems from the guys post below that for hiphop a studio doesn't have to be as ellaborate as for other juandras of music.
    See I'm reading so many peeps oppinions of equipment and all, but for all I know they're making trance or something, and what they think is good, might not suite my need, naw mean. That would be a good idea for this site, to have written below everyones name what type of music they make.
    What do you think of REactor or Rebirth, or even better Logic, since nobody seems to mention anything about it, it's industry standards so Logic is probably above the rest?
    Is Vegas that good? why is it so good for hiphop? how much is it?
    I'm going to be producing hiphop prob on a more experimental tip, but none the less the same...Thanks!
    Lookin forward to your response. one

Thanks
    What I meant was that In hip hop production, you'll have more need for sample polyphony than a big synth engine.
    Unlike in trance, where you'd need alot of voices for your synths. I have 20 voices on my Novation Supernova and I sometimes get in trouble actually. So 9 voices would be too little for for me.
    Sincerely Dj Chriss

Thanks
    well my studio will be set up for live and midi work, i am not a full on producer but i've doing stuff for about 8 years.
    As for hip-hop its basically one off pressings for vip mixers for a hip hop dj, i plan to make my own stuff. so far its going to instrumental stuff with some vocals on top

Priz i'll come back at you with my reasons for the software i use
    SILD SILD SILD.......
    SIlD?

Thanks

Question Dope!...ALSo blah blah blah I never stop asking questions.

I'm not sure what your saying: "What I meant was that In hip hop production, you'll have more need for sample polyphony than a big synth engine." Could you break this down a little more? What's polyphony mean/do,etc. Also big synth engine, why not? why is it not needed as much? Please be more indepth.
    "Unlike in trance, where you'd need alot of voices for your synths. I have 20 voices on my Novation Supernova and I sometimes get in trouble actually. So 9 voices would be too little for me." What are voices, are those how many diiferent vocals it can hold or what? Really curious...This seems like vital info to know, help.
    Also Ade, from other posts I've realized you use a MAC, I'm planning on going with IBM, I've been suing IBMs my whole life, I assume go with what I know. So alot of the programs I could use you couldn't I think, but are all those programs compatible with IBM, or is their better programs for hiphop available on IBM.
    Right now I'm kind'ov leaning towards:
    Logic for midi sequencer, I'd really like to know if this program is good, It's industry standard so I'd assume.
    Rebrith for just basic stuff,...??? I don't really know.
    REactor for coming up with good sounds.
    Deffinitely soundforge, for bass tones and etc.
    Recycle looks good for looping re-looping, so I'm thinking I'll look into it for that.
    Am I off on a strange limb, gettin all these programs,(free keep in mind) Or am I just making it more complicated and could do all this with two programs just as good. Also what is meant by VST, I'm, pretty sure the programs I use should have this but have no idea what it is?
    Sorry for writing a book, but these answers would really get me straightened on my path to a studio
    Look forward to any as many answers or help I can get, this site is great!

Thanks
    polyphony = no. of notes that can be played as any one time, emu esi4000 is 64

voices = no.of different sounds at anyone time, most are 16 or 32, but somethings are 1 with a polypohny of 1.

Chriss is saying that you need a big varity of sounds, trance sounds are pretty narrow compared with hip-hop, which has more sounds and probably less notes.

I use an IBM not a Mac for my music, don't ask why, i use the both its a long story

All u need really is a sample editor ie Sound forge or recycle, cool edit

audio multitracker ie vegas or pro tools

midi sequencer ie cakewalk,logic,cubase etc.

audio sequencer ie acid

most midi sequencers these days come with audio capabilities, but i prefer acid, its easy to use and does the job well.
    SILD SILD SILD.......
    SIlD?

Thanks

Question Yeah, that makes sense now...

midi sequencer ie cakewalk,logic,cubase etc.
    What about a keyboard, I mean the piano type, with the line of keys, I was planning on getting one of these to, are they needed in your oppinion, I know there's didgital programs for this, but I would assume it's easier to have hands on, so you can just play around with the keys and not have to klick with a mouse. what do you think?
    Also what external peices do you have, I read I should atleast have a midi controller and a keyboard synth. what do these bothe basically do?
    Do you think I "need" to have these external parts of hardware?
    thanks again!

Thread Information