Is my hard disk crushed?

I was installing fruityloops 3 full final into my computer it's a dell computer 486 processor,which has win98se as an operating system,but unfortunately the installation process takes so long and ended unfinished abruptly and my computer made a lot of noises, and my screen went blank,i pressed an enter key to check if my screen will display anything but nothing appeared,i decided to switch off my pc and switch it on again,here is where i met with a very strange thing,the computer started as usual until it reaches at the point where it display this information 640k base and it counts extended memory which is up to 23552k and then it repeats the same process over and over again without going to display the window 98, and also it cant let me enter into setup by pressing ctrl,alt and enter key,what it says when i do that is keyboard stuck in failure,and keyboard clock line failure,and also i tried to boot it from the floppy drive by inserting windows 98 start up diskette no changes takes place it continue to do the same process i stated above. Please may someone tell me how should i fix this problem?

:lol:, is this a serious post???

If so I feel very sorry for you, fruity has little to no chance of running usefully on a 486. Time for a new machine (look at second hand P3's around 800MHz)

486?? Wow..i remember those. You arent even going to be able to come close to be able to do anything when it comes to recording tracks on a 486. Try just buying a new computer. You could also try selling your computer to an antique shop and putting the money towards a new one.

this person wants a fix, not told they own junk and to buy buy buy

fix ideas:
try to reseat ALL ram chips, vid cards, sound cards...make sure all fans work, and all HD cables are intact and fully plugged in
unplug the hard drive power and try to boot from floppy, if it works...sorry your HD may be dead

everyone forgets the MIDI specs were set in the days of 8086...(i wouldnt try FL on that , i have seen 486 perform wonderfully as MIDI seq. and many ppl have made tunes using an Amiga with only 14MHZ proc, and 2M (yes two megs) of ram, NO hard drive...my first piece of music eqip was an amiga 1200 meeting those specs

Heartfelt thanks to you MIGAMIX u strike what i was looking for.And I am very sorry for those three pioneers(they dont know where we came from and they dont know where we stand and locked themselves into a corner unknowingly) who came first and try to engineer something which can be done only with tru gurus like migamix,please pioneers read and understand the post before attempting any replies.
Migamix i will try to do as you suggested to see if it can work,but yesterday after posting that question i went back and try to do the following actions i unplugged every thing from the motherboard except the CPU,I asembled the thing back but the problem is still the same that it tests the memory over and over again without going to check for the hardware status attached to the system,if at all my hard disk is dead i would expect it to tell me that system disk failure but it keeps looping on testing memories only without saying anything!When i try to enter into setup when testing memory it tells me that KEYBOARD STUCK KEY FAILURE,AND KEYBOARD CLOCK LINE FAILURE.Plz tell me something on this matter.

everyone forgets the MIDI specs were set in the days of 8086...(i wouldnt try FL on that , i have seen 486 perform wonderfully as MIDI seq. and many ppl have made tunes using an Amiga with only 14MHZ proc, and 2M (yes two megs) of ram, NO hard drive...my first piece of music eqip was an amiga 1200 meeting those specs
Sure, I have midi running on 8MHz processors here and have sequenced on old mac's (including ones with no hard drives)

But this doesnt matter, you still need lots of external hardware to make such an old machine useful (unless you want to talk mod tracking). A 486 is useless for a software based setup. The minimum would be a mid range pentium and freebirth or reason 1.0, and that would be very limiting.

I wansnt saying it was crap and to buy buy buy... i was saying you will never get fruityloops to work with a 486 processor to power it.

Heitazheita said:
please pioneers read and understand the post before attempting any replies.

You are completely missing the point. Read again what Mungo last wrote.

Yes, you can use a 486 and even a (lot) lower spec machine to do music. The thing is, you have to use software that actually runs on it, basically using your computer as a MIDI sequencer for external gear - or optionally going the tracker route, which is another story entirely. Nowadays trackers offer very versatile production environments, actually, but the same thing applies to them: you can't run a new tracker on a 486, only the ones that were written with those specs in mind.

Using Windows 98SE on a 486 gives it relatively little breathing room to begin with. Then installing and trying to use production tools that were written in the 2000's - and talking down on the people who are trying to tell you it's impossible to get anywhere like that - is just absurd.

If your machine broke down, just go find a new one. You can get newer computers for free these days ;)

Last edited:
Back