Monitors: TRS Cables

jennycraig

I purchased some maudio bx8's and bought some 1/4" trs cables while I was at it...but I purchased Mono Trs cables 1 ring...most trs jacks have 2 rings which is stereo...I bought 1 cable for each speaker/monitor...and I'm wondering if I should of have gone with the stereo 2 rings or is the 1 ring mono fine? Thanks

I purchased some maudio bx8's and bought some 1/4" trs cables while I was at it...but I purchased Mono Trs cables 1 ring...most trs jacks have 2 rings which is stereo...I bought 1 cable for each speaker/monitor...and I'm wondering if I should of have gone with the stereo 2 rings or is the 1 ring mono fine? Thanks
Hey Friend when it comes to TRS there is no Stereo. If you buy one cable and it has one or two rings it doesn't matter one TRS cable Mean "Mono" I know you get confused because headphones has two rings and deliver stereo but TRS doesn't. TRS "Balanced Cables" has three things Cold, Hot and Ground witch are divided by this two rings. Mono Has only Hot and Cold. Whats The Differences? With Mono Your Cables can pick up signal from other cables like electricity. Don't forget you have cable behind that desk Connected to other components. Two Rings, Which are call TRS "Balanced Cables", has a Ground which eliminate and block all those problems, so your sound comes out clean and comfortable to hear and mix. I Hope i helped you with this see you around!

The poster above has hit the nail on the head.

TS cables (mono cables) are unbalanced (similar to RCA cables) whereas TRS cables (stereo) are balanced. Even if you're only pushing a mono signal, a TRS cable is required to make the connection balanced (no interference as it has a ground)

TS ~ Tip Sleeve - Monophonic hot and cold only with cold also acting as ground or shield
TRS ~ Tip Ring Sleeve - Monophonic Balanced Hot (Tip) and cold (Ring) lines as well as a shield/ground line
TRRS ~ Tip Ring1 Ring2 Sleeve - Stereophonic With Tip being L, Ring 1 Right, Ring 2 L Cold/shield, Sleeve R cold/shield - can also appear in video systems with different functions as a result.....

There are other configurations as well, including TRRRS, the 3 ring circus if you will, being an attempt at stereo balanced or offering power sourcing for the connected object/player

headphones use a simple TRS set up which is Tip - L, Ring - R, Sleeve Common ground

Back