Thread: Monitors: TRS Cables

Thanks

Monitors: TRS Cables

Sign in to disable this ad
    I purchased some maudio bx8's and bought some 1/4" trs cables while I was at it...but I purchased Mono Trs cables 1 ring...most trs jacks have 2 rings which is stereo...I bought 1 cable for each speaker/monitor...and I'm wondering if I should of have gone with the stereo 2 rings or is the 1 ring mono fine? Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jennycraig View Post
    I purchased some maudio bx8's and bought some 1/4" trs cables while I was at it...but I purchased Mono Trs cables 1 ring...most trs jacks have 2 rings which is stereo...I bought 1 cable for each speaker/monitor...and I'm wondering if I should of have gone with the stereo 2 rings or is the 1 ring mono fine? Thanks
    Hey Friend when it comes to TRS there is no Stereo. If you buy one cable and it has one or two rings it doesn't matter one TRS cable Mean "Mono" I know you get confused because headphones has two rings and deliver stereo but TRS doesn't. TRS "Balanced Cables" has three things Cold, Hot and Ground witch are divided by this two rings. Mono Has only Hot and Cold. Whats The Differences? With Mono Your Cables can pick up signal from other cables like electricity. Don't forget you have cable behind that desk Connected to other components. Two Rings, Which are call TRS "Balanced Cables", has a Ground which eliminate and block all those problems, so your sound comes out clean and comfortable to hear and mix. I Hope i helped you with this see you around!

Thanks
    The poster above has hit the nail on the head.

TS cables (mono cables) are unbalanced (similar to RCA cables) whereas TRS cables (stereo) are balanced. Even if you're only pushing a mono signal, a TRS cable is required to make the connection balanced (no interference as it has a ground)
    Alexander Reynolds
    GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

Thanks
    TS ~ Tip Sleeve - Monophonic hot and cold only with cold also acting as ground or shield
    TRS ~ Tip Ring Sleeve - Monophonic Balanced Hot (Tip) and cold (Ring) lines as well as a shield/ground line
    TRRS ~ Tip Ring1 Ring2 Sleeve - Stereophonic With Tip being L, Ring 1 Right, Ring 2 L Cold/shield, Sleeve R cold/shield - can also appear in video systems with different functions as a result.....

There are other configurations as well, including TRRRS, the 3 ring circus if you will, being an attempt at stereo balanced or offering power sourcing for the connected object/player

headphones use a simple TRS set up which is Tip - L, Ring - R, Sleeve Common ground
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thread Information