Monitoring with SONY MDR-V700

yaron

I have a pair of old speakers, which are suitable for home purposes, but pretty bad for monitoring, so I use my Sony MDR-V700 headphones to monitor. The sound quaility of the headphones is much better, of course, however, is it good (flat) enough?
I mean, can I trust the sound of the Sony headphones for monitoring?

Common edict says that you should never monitor in headphones. They may be good for composing, but when you play back what you did over a good set of speakers, you're going to hear a wholly different track that what was in the phones.

I hear the same advice over and over on this (and I'm in a similar situation as yours). If you're serious about your music, save some dosh and get yourself a good pair of monitors. It will save you time and frustration in the long run.

headphones should be used in conjunction with monitors when producing but are not a single solution. various sound artifacts are multiplied when using headphones so you wont get a true representation.

the sony mdr v700s are great headphones but are about as flat as Killimanjaro and not that good for producing. they are designed for djing and so what you need from headphones for this differs with what you need to produce.

theres planty of decent monitors around for good prices, buy second hand if you can as you will maximise your cash even more. oh yeah, remember to watch your amp aswell as you guessed it. most amps arent flat either if they are home audio ones. they are set up to sound nice, not to be true.

:mad: .... that's too bad... you have to be a fu**ing millionaire in order to make music nowadays....
well... gotta save up some money...

Back