monitoring (can I ever be satisfied?)

nalesk

I recently got myself a pair of yamaha NS 10 and I must say, it was love at first sound .... but after a couple of days/weeks and relistening to my mixes at a friend's place, I realised I was mixing def to low freq (these nearfields dont go too deep at all) and I wonder what would be a good addition to my monitoring equipment, (please dont tell me to buy bigger, more expensive monitors lol).

any ideas?

One thing you can do without spending any money is to listen to songs in which the low end is mixed well through your monitors. Thats a good way to train your ears to hear how a good mix sounds with your setup. If you think the problem is more with a lack of bass coming from your monitors, you might think about a subwoofer. Although I've heard NS-10s are pretty good on the low end, I've never used them myself.

I bought a monster gold splitter cable, so i have audio running from the mbox to my two monitors, and my 5.1 system. I turned my 5.1 system down low enough so i can't hear any coloration from the satellites, and hear enough bass to know how it'll sound in the real world, and voila.

-Donovan

Look at the back of the monitor. Is there a knob labeled "Room adjust" or similar? A nearfield monitor needs to be set up correctly according to
a) where they sit in the room (i.e. close/near to wall). If its sitting right next to the wall you'll need to adjust the monitor for that, if not the bass will be a lot deeper than what is actually the case and vice versa
b)where you sit. In Future Music november issue (I think) there was a calculator to which you put in the dimensions of the room and speakers, and it told you exactly where to position yourself to be placed in the monitors "sweet spot", i.e where the sound is true. If i can find it I'll make a scan and post it.

Last edited:
hmmm, yea good points there.

the placement of the monitors is fine, and there is no "room adjust" option on them.

I guess training my ear would be the best and cheapest solution, but I find there is quite a lot of low end I just cant hear on these NS10 monitors.

Either I ll add a sub or I'll have to switch regularly to a pair of hifi monitors while I do the mix....
at least I ll get an idea of when I overdose my low freqs lol !!

Back