monitor recomendations

D

dolecek1

iam kind new at this so please be kind. what part does studio monitors play in yoiur studio, i have pc speakers that are creative,but do i really need monitors, also do i need headphones? thanks

It depends on what you want to do, get a decent set of headphones first.

Monitors give a "truer" sense of what your music sounds like.

You mix on them to get an idea of how your mix will sound on other people equipment

Your monitors are going to play a key role in your studio. Studio monitors are designed to be a "flat reference" for your music, meaning they do not hype certain frequencies or attenuate others to be pleasing.

Consumer speakers in general have certain frequencies hyped and others played down to be pleasing to the ears. Most of them boost the lows and highs, while cutting out some of the mid range (around 3k...that is where alarm clocks and smoke detectors live, generally). A pair of studio monitors are used to give you an accurate representation of what your recording/mix actually sounds like.

Headphones are also a good reference when mixing, but you should avoid working strictly with headphones. I like the Audio Technica ATH M40 headphones, and I do my drum programming with ATH D40 phones. The M40s are designed to be a flat frequency response headphone, while the D40s have a bump in the low end.

As for studio monitor recommendations, in the low price range, the Event Tuned Reference monitors are a good pair. I wouldn't go too cheap with monitors. You really do get what you pay for with them.

for a lower budget i'd recommend the event TR models (tr5, tr6 or tr8).. they've had great reviews..

for a higher budget i'd recommend mackie hr624's or hr824's

and yes, good monitors and a good soundcard are essential

Last edited:
mackie

iam on a mission 2 get monitors aswel
they cost alot though

if your set-up is topnotch den u need good monitors, if not then fukkit.

Back