Mixing MIDI Files

trjeam

Is their anyway into mixing midi files with wav's into an mp3? I've tried using cool edit but it doesn't work out..

or is their a way of converting midi's into wav's or mp3's?

thanks for any help.

It depends on the capability of your soundcard. easiest way is simply to record the output of you sequencer back into the computer. You might have to physically take a line out and then back in but more than likely you can just set your soundcard to record the stereo mix. Its in the little mixer at the bottom right hand corner of your desktop. Double click it.. go to properties and select ADVANCED then select RECORDING and set it to record the stereo mix. You can set it to record whatever you want depending on the routing complexity your soundcard offers.
Alternately you could load them into cubase and do a mixdown. This is especially easy if your are using VST instruments.

sleepy said:
Explain exactly what you are wanting to do. I'm sure you're confused with what you're doing.

I have a midi file that I made that I want to play along to. But I can't mix down the wav file of me playing with the midi background music.

kk994 said:
It depends on the capability of your soundcard. easiest way is simply to record the output of you sequencer back into the computer. You might have to physically take a line out and then back in but more than likely you can just set your soundcard to record the stereo mix. Its in the little mixer at the bottom right hand corner of your desktop. Double click it.. go to properties and select ADVANCED then select RECORDING and set it to record the stereo mix. You can set it to record whatever you want depending on the routing complexity your soundcard offers.
Alternately you could load them into cubase and do a mixdown. This is especially easy if your are using VST instruments.

could you please explain to me how the what the line out and in thing is? I think i might i have to do that

what line do I have to run?

I didn't read much of this thread, but you do know MIDI is NOT audio, right?

yes, i do know that midi is not audio, that's why i'm trying to figure out how to make it into audio.

and to make my midi's sometimes I use fruityloops, sibelius or band in a box.

trjeam said:
... to make my midi's ...
There's no such thing as "making a MIDI". There is such a thing as creating a "MIDI file" which can contain various kinds of music-related data, but not really "music".

To get a MIDI file to produce some sound or music, you have to play that file on a sequencer of some kind, and record the audio out on some kind of recorder. There just isn't any way to do it otherwise.

You are experiencing a lot of confusion because you don't have a clear understanding about MIDI. It's like asking how to spell a word when you don't even know the ABCs yet. No biggee, you can always learn.

Try going to www.tweakheadz.com and start your education.

dansgold said:
There's no such thing as "making a MIDI". There is such a thing as creating a "MIDI file" which can contain various kinds of music-related data, but not really "music".

To get a MIDI file to produce some sound or music, you have to play that file on a sequencer of some kind, and record the audio out on some kind of recorder. There just isn't any way to do it otherwise.

You are experiencing a lot of confusion because you don't have a clear understanding about MIDI. It's like asking how to spell a word when you don't even know the ABCs yet. No biggee, you can always learn.

Try going to www.tweakheadz.com and start your education.

thanks, you just cleared alot of my confusing and now I understand a little better.

but I'm playing the file threw my midi controler/keyboard.

trjeam said:
... but I'm playing the file threw my midi controler/keyboard.
What do you have exactly ... might be able to point you in the right direction.

Back