Mixing an album..help!

M

morph860

Ok, my group is getting ready to put out another mixtape...all original beats, all recorded at the same place. When they were mixed down, a few of the tracks have different volumes than others. I am also going to blend all of the songs into each other, etc. I usually load each track into Cubase, and use the mixer to adjust the levels. Is this the easiest way to do this? Can i use NORMALIZE without messing up the levels of the songs?? Help me out! Thanks.

You can use the normalize feature in cubase. If you needed to revert back to the original you can use the history feature. But be careful with this one, you choose the wrong "undo edit" and it can mess things up.

I would either use the faders to change the volume or simply use the dynamics volume curve on the audio event itself.

That should take care of the differences in levels for you.

ok, i have all the volumes adjusted...all 26 tracks have been mixed down to a single .aif file. How can I use Cubase or Peak to seperate them so that u wont be able to tell when the track changes???? Thanks.

morph860 said:
ok, i have all the volumes adjusted...all 26 tracks have been mixed down to a single .aif file. How can I use Cubase or Peak to seperate them so that u wont be able to tell when the track changes???? Thanks.

Once its mixed down to a 2 track file there is no way to separate the tracks again.

An audio CD has a TOC (table of contents) and in that TOC is a piece of info that tells the laser where each track starts (start ID's) on the disc, so it knows where to jump the lens to.

I'm sort of lost here(forgive me)..you can use soundforge to blend the tracks together?like, when you have a track with something on the end that plays into the beginning of another track?

Radioaktive Man said:
I'm sort of lost here(forgive me)..you can use soundforge to blend the tracks together?like, when you have a track with something on the end that plays into the beginning of another track?

Yes, I believe it is called merge tracks.

You can use Nero to Crossfade and track ID.
It is really easy. From there you can burn it, all in the same program

Back