mixer or preamp?

Great

hi, ill be wanting to record a studio projects c1 mic, electric guitar, and an electric acoustic gitar into my computer. i will probably be using sonar 3 to record live with. (over top a fruityloops rewired beat) i have an audiophile 2496 soundcard. What is the best way to get my mic and guitars into the soundcard? a mixer or preamps? I'm a little confused what i would need. Can someone please clarify and recommend what equipment brands as well?

thanks alot

most mixers come with mic preamps on them. to put it simply, if you want to record more than one at a time, or don't want to be plugging and unplugging all the time, get a mixer. if you only want to do it one at a time and don't mind unplugging and plugging every time you want to record something different, get a preamp.

Id reccomend getting a mixer...it will have built in pre-amps and depending on the mixer might be just as quality as a pre-amp that will set you back 1-200 bucks to begin with.

I use studio projects mic with SONAR3 too ;-)

I record the mic with a special studio projects mic-amp wich goes directly into the soundcard. The mixer is only used for monitoring of different signals.

A dedicated pre sounds way better then those in a small mixer. The studioprojects pre even allows you to add a real tubes' warmth to the signal wich is real nice on vocals and bassguitar.

Have a mixer is great to control alot inputs and outputs of your sound card i use a mackie 1202 and a ART Tube MP it boost my signal even more.

is the studio projects mic pre any good??? does it really use the tube??? i know the beringer stuff is total bull****..the tubes dont even light up! they are actually light bulbs in behind the tubes....total garbage.

the studio projects mic pre really does the trick for me. The good thing is that this pre is a combination of a solid-state pre and a tube pre and you can mix the two at will.

Typically I'll use a 50/50 setting for vocals (makes 'm a little warmer), but for bass I use about 80% tube (nice silky high end). When I want a really super clean sound I use 20% tube or even less. I just could not live without this feature, because solidstate sounds too flat to me, but tube gives me to much distortion, altough that depends on how hard you drive the unit on the input!

I even use it on a singers voice while mixing live and it's amazing how the tube makes the singer stand out in the mix, without cranking the volume or using any EQ at all.

Back