Mixer, Monitors, and What Else....?

B

Big Corleone

yo...whassup.....? im tryin to get my sound better and tie everything together. im on a TIGHT budget and flat broke. i just sold my asr-x pro and rm1x and copped me a mpc2000. anyway.....i'm looking for a mixer and some monitors........AND whatever else i might need. i'm going to hook up my MPC2000, my cdplayers via my dj mixer, my computer (how can i do that???), and future things.....(mic, sound module, etc). so what do y'all think? and remember......i'm brooooooooke. so can y'all give your ideas and the price ranges? thanks yo

If your looking for bang for buck, try this combination:

Tannoy Reveal Passive Monitors (UK£176)
Servo-170 amp (UK£150)
Behringer MX2004a (UK£195)

The Behringer has 8 mono channels, 4 stereo and a couple of stereo aux returns and a line in (on RCAs) - giving 20 input channels total. Should be plenty, even if you upgrade your MPC to the 8 output version oneday. I run my DJ mixer into the Behringer, and using the 'alt send' and PFL buttons can send any signal on the mixer to either my sampler or PC for recording... Its really cheap and flexible... Some people have issues wtih noise at high volumes with behringer stuff, but i've had no problems, we all want a mackie desk but for under £200 you can't go wrong... Just remember to budget for cables - they get pretty steep for decent ones...

If you can't afford all this at once you could always run your MPC's stereo out into a line input on your DJ mixer for now, and the dj mixer to the amp... If you look around for this kit second hand you could save a fair bit too...

If you want more info on how i've set up my mixer-PC-synth-samper-decks routing just post back... Its amazing how flexible the Behringer is, and if you run out of channels (all 20!) you can just buy another for £200 and 'daisychain' 'em - a 40 channel board for under £400! Plus you get decent EQs on the 8 mono (3 band swept) and four stereo (4 band) channels. Plus you get 8 mic inputs/preamps on the mono channels to give you future recording options.

Anyway thats what i've got and i'm happy with it all...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help yo. i looked on ebay for some of them prices......they so so. when i look for the monitors....i ran into the same kind....but they was powered. what do you think? well my mpc has the 8out installed. i got the studio model. also...right now....i got the cdplayers running into the mpc.....and the mpc running in my computer. that's just for now......but come on people.....need more input

Yeah the actives should be fine; you can pretty much guarantee the amp will match the speakers for optimum performance. Save space too. The cd players could stay as they are, come in on stereo channels or aux returns on the mixer or run in to the line ins on your dj mixer if you don't need 2 decks and a cd simultaneously...

I've got my mixer set up like this:

Main out to amp/monitors
Alt 3/4 out to pc in
headphone out to sampler in

theres two buttons on each channel strip, one for PFL (routes to headphones) and one for the alt 3/4 output. This means at the press of a button i can route any channel(s) to either be recorded into cubase or sampled. Its really flexable so there shouldn't be to many probs accomodating future kit...

What kind of music? What is your goal? Remixing, producing???

Back