Mixer Help!!

KNOCKAHOLIX

Khmer P Diddy
Guys, i am recording into my computer, here's my setup;

I have the output of my soundcard going into the 2TR input of my mixer
From my mixer the STEREO output goes into my STUDIO MONITORS
On my mixer, I have a Mic hooked up also...and that goes into my LINE IN of my soundcard (to my computer)......

When I record my vocals, I end up recording the sound output from my computer, plus my vocals!?!

I dont' want that.

I just want the sound come out and go into my STUDIO MONITORS and my VOCALS going in alone, no music. How do i do that? Is it possible?

Thanks for the reply guys, i really need some help

Welcome to FP KNOCKAHOLIX

You should read up in your mixer manual about how to use your bussing. You should have a cable going from say buss 1 to your sound card, Then when ever you want to record something you just assign it to the buss.

The answer to your problem depends on the type of mixer that you have. But, most likely, this is the problem:

I am assuming that the you have the 2TK output on your mixer going to your line in on your sound card, and the sound card's output going back into your 2TK input on your mixer. Most mixers have a pair of 1/4" outputs that are going to the control room and another pair of 1/4" outputs that are the main outputs. Make sure that your monitors are receiving its input from your control room outputs on the mixer. Now, most mixers have a switch that says something like "2TK to control room." This button will direct your 2TK input signal directly to the control room outputs, which will go to your monitors and headphones when it is pressed. And when it is not pressed, the 2TK input is sent to the main mix, which is what you are experiencing now. so make sure that it is pressed when you are recording vocals. This way, when you are recording vocals, you should hear the beat and vocals in your headphones (and monitors if you turned them up), but only the vocals are being sent into the sound card. make sure that your mic is plugged into the mixer, and the 2TK output is going into your soundcard. that should solve your problem.

some mixers are more complicated than that, but refer to your instruction manual, because usually this process is outlined somewhere for you.

hope this helps. if your mixer doesn't have simple separate control room v. main mix routing, just throw it away and get a new one. You can get a simple 6 track one with 2-4 micpreamps for like $70.00. Another way to go is to just spend the money on a good mic preamp, and have that go directly into the sound card.

peace
apex

Back