MIDI HELP w/Oxygen 8 - Cubase SX - Layla 24 - Virus C

quinlin

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my Oxygen 8, Cubase SX, Layla 24, and Viruc C to work the way I'm thinking it should. Currently, the set up looks like this:

Oxygen 8 (midi out) -> Layla 24 (midi in)
Layla 24 (midi in) -> Cubase SX (midi track)
Cubase SX (midi track) -> Layla 24 (midi out)
Layla 24 (midi out) -> Virus C (midi in) * problem
Virus C (aux out) -> Layla 24 (aux in)
Layla 24 (aux in) -> Cubase SX (sound track)
w/ Pentium 4 - Win 2000

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the way I think it should work is to use Oxygen to lay out the midi track in Cubase, play the midi track out from Cubase into Virus, then record the sound from Virus back into Cubase.

Independently, I can get Cubase to record the midi from Oxygen, and I can get Cubase to record sounds from Virus. What I can't do is get Cubase to output the midi into Virus.

I suspected that the midi out on Layla was broken, and so I used winamp to play a midi file. Virus was able to detect the midi, and play back a track. I have also downloaded a midi self loop test from Echo, and it appears to have passed the test. But Virus SoundDriver often loses connection, and the self loop test in there fails. So it might be the case that I have a bad midi cord somewhere also. But still you would expect Cubase to be able to output to Virus at least once, since Virus SoundDriver will transfer data for a bit before losing connection.

Pleaes help if you have any ideas, suggestions, and/or solutions.

your situation

What is Virus for.
Is it software or Hardware

Gotcha

I not tooo smart about midi
because I never had to use MDI
but I will look up some stuff also try this site do you have MSN messenger?

I have a bud in NYC that deals with many MIDI applications
I'll E-mail him and get back to you soon
I am on the site alot for reading forums and stuff.

Try this site www.brothercake.com

get back to you soon

yo dog how is that layla sound card cause i wanted one but i did have the cheese for the layla then a seq program so i just got a m-box but i was just wondering

I think your problem is with the Layla to computer (Cubase). That connection should be going through the 15' pci cord.

I use a layla 20 and Sonar, Roland keyboard.

I have the keyboard attached to the Layla midi in/out.

If Oxy 8 has a through then you could attach the external sound device to it.

There are lots of variations to this. I doubt your equipment is bad I bet you are just missing something.

For the guy asking about Layla, the 20 is great and I am sure the 24 is even better.

Back