Midi connection CAN NOT HAPPEN

D

Dirty Villain

Ok i just spent 800 bucks on a synth/midiboard, its a roland rs-5, and the thing is tight as hell. But I got it mainly for midi purposes. The midi out is a universal midi plug. you know, round with 5 pins. Well the midi in on my sb live 5.1 is a joystick in looking plug, you know what im talking about. Well, I cant find any cables that have that type of connection, one with two different heads. I went to the local music stores, computer stores, and even radio shack, no one around here has it. UGHHH. I even went online to samash and musicians friend, they dont have it, or i cant find it. Will Ihave to make my own or something? I mean come on there has to be some place that sales this? Any help would be nice cause this is really getten me mad.

Also I got it hooked up to my line in on my computer, but it only plays the left channel, its not playen it in stereo, is there a way to get around this.

They do sell those adapters I think! JOYSTICK PORT > 2 MIDI MALE (IN + OUT)

its weird, the stores didnt even know what you were talking about? Its q common cable, often bundled with Sound Blaster soundcards even...

Dirty Villain said:
Also I got it hooked up to my line in on my computer, but it only plays the left channel, its not playen it in stereo, is there a way to get around this.

You must be using a mono jack cable or something... You may have to use 2 MONO jack cables (big 1/4 jacks) and then an adapter to plug to your soundcard line in (i guess mini jack stereo). Unless you have a stereo output on the machine

yo i went to circuit city last night, and i seen a midi connector to the pc kit, and it looked like two seperate wires, so i didnt know if thats what i needed, so i asked the guy, and he told me it WAS two seperate wires. Well going through the net today i find the pack on the internet that i seen last night, and it turns out that it IS what I need, and its 2 wires, spliced together. So i go get it and tell the dude hes a moron.

So now I am at home ready to midi out right. Just gonna hit some tracks with my new Roland rs-5 right.. Well.. I cant get the midi to work... I dont know what to do.. I did some reading, but I dont understand.. so much jiberish to me and so much stuff to read, i dont got time for all that. I got a sblive sound card, and i want to record midi in Floops. What do I do? How do I get the midid to work?

nevermind i got it to work. The in and out connectors on the wiring was backwards.. go figure! haha

Dirty Villain said:
nevermind i got it to work. The in and out connectors on the wiring was backwards.. go figure! haha

actually no, its the right way. When you see MIDI IN on the male cable, you need to plug this on the MIDI OUT connector of your keyboard. I mean the label doesnt tell you what to plug there but what the plug IS.

Take care!

ahh thanks for the info mano
check out my thread in computers called wow
see if ya can solve that one.

Back