MiDI

T

Tae2u03

i hooked up my drum machine to my pc when the drum machine is playing the dum machine sound is right but the sound coming from the pc is diffrent what should i do?

Tae2u03 said:
... what should i do?
The honest and direct answer to your question is that you should learn the basics of the technology before you just dive in trying to get it to do things it isn't designed to do.

You are suffering from a common, major misconception about MIDI technology. MIDI does not record or transfer sound.

If you get a basic guide to MIDI, or spend some time on www.tweakheadz.com , you'll likely clear up some of this confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds to me like he's having a problem I used to have. I hooked up my MC-505 to my computer through an older version of cakewalk. I used the templates etc and when I recorded Midi data through cakewalk, it would play back the sound off the MC-505 (connected through a mixer to the computer) and the general MIDI sounds off my soundcard. So I would get my drum beats playing off the 505 with the crummy GM sounds off the sound card playing at the same time. Maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds like the problem to me.

Make sure the audio outputs of the drum machine are connected to the computer and that the GM part of your soundcard is turned off, so that the MIDI data is only telling the drum machine which notes to play, not the drum machine and sound card.

Last edited:
Back