Microphone Check 1 2 (having problems)

G

ghetto boogie

I am recording vocals with a marshall mxl2001 condenser mic, running through an ART tube amp and into a behringer eurorack mixer, then out to my computer. In my last abode, I was recording in the middle of an open room, and there was natural reverb on the vocals, but the vocals were clean and crisp. I now live in a house with my studio in the basement, and a vocal booth in the corner. The booth is 3 sides studio foam, hollow tile ceiling, and open back. For some reason, my recordings have a slight flange to them or something now. I can't really figure it out. It's not all of them, but usually certain people. Could it be that the sound from the headphones is relaying into the mic creating some sort of feedback? If so, is there a solution to this problem aside from turning the headphones down? Help is much apreciated.

Most likely your are hearing comb filtering in a small room. Foam doesn't always help this, although it will certainly tame it. A really small room turned into a vocal booth may still suffer from standing waves.

Have you tried facing the singer towards the opening with their back to the foam? I would bet the results will be greatly improved.

Back