mic question

C

C-Enes

for a while i havent been using my condenser mic and recently i plugged it in and i met pretty bad results. the mic would register sharp taps and whatnot on the program i use to record (audition) but not clear sounds. i have checked the connections and everything else but to no avail. is it a lost cause??

do you have phantom power turned on, on your mic pre? does it have a pad switch you can turn off?
LevLove

Last edited:
yea everything is turned on. i checked the connections as well as the settings for that channel AND others just in case. ive had and worked with this mic for awhile so this is completely a surprise to me

Sounds like you might have a sagging or ruptured diaphragm. Has the mic been kept in a climate controlled room?

Frank

P.S.: never, ever tap on a mic...that's a great way to rupture the diaphragm. If you're not getting a signal by speaking into it, something somewhere is wrong.

advice taken weasel. but nah im getting sum sound just extremely distorted like it only picks up loud things but not the quiet things. and the sounds it does pick up are super distorted and clip

C-Enes said:
advice taken weasel. but nah im getting sum sound just extremely distorted like it only picks up loud things but not the quiet things. and the sounds it does pick up are super distorted and clip

...which sounds just like a ruptured diaphragm. Either that or a bad output transformer.

Did you say what brand mic this is? How old is it?

The bottom line is, if it's a sub $300 condenser mic it's going to be trash if it's either of the two problems above. it'll cost what the mic is worth to repair it.

Frank

Weasel9992 said:
...which sounds just like a ruptured diaphragm. Either that or a bad output transformer.

Did you say what brand mic this is? How old is it?

The bottom line is, if it's a sub $300 condenser mic it's going to be trash if it's either of the two problems above. it'll cost what the mic is worth to repair it.

Frank

its an akg perception 100. but i also tested that theory. i put my headphones in my mixer to listen to the mic directly thru the mixer and it sounds fine. i figured it might be the mixer to comp wire. possibility?

Back