Metal desk

yodaone902

I'm using a steel desk for my workstation. It has two krk vxt 4's on isolator pads but the rest of my equipment (duet interface, maschine mk2, macbook pro and axiom 49) are all on the table. Will this be a problem due to the fact that electricity goes through metal but not wood? If so could this be solved by putting something over the table like a blanket or something?

any help would be much appreciated.

I'm using a steel desk for my workstation. It has two krk vxt 4's on isolator pads but the rest of my equipment (duet interface, maschine mk2, macbook pro and axiom 49) are all on the table. Will this be a problem due to the fact that electricity goes through metal but not wood? If so could this be solved by putting something over the table like a blanket or something?

Electricity...?
Whaaaat...?

I'd be more worried about metal's tendency to rattle and resonate more strongly than wood.

I'm sure you'll find a way to work it out.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Umm...I really hope that electricity won't be running through your desk....if it is...then you have a HUGE problem.

1) unless you have nicks and cuts in your mains power cords, the chances of electricity flowing in your metal desk are minimal
2) having a blanket would not stop the flow of electricity from such nicks and cuts on your power chords
3) fundamentally it makes no difference as long as you are conscious of the potential sources for danger and act when they manifest - replace damaged power cords without question

sorry i suppose i should have phrased this differently. Will static be an issue? I didn't mean live fuses running through the table.

chances of static electricity are higher if you put a blanket on the desk (the fibres in the blanket would contribute to a static build-up).

Any discharge of static electricity would be from you to the table but there would be not other issues as far as I am aware (not knowing your exact layout and other potential hazards in your room).....

metal supporting frame (can be wood if you want) wooden structure for the table and any sides/shelves etc; it's mostly aesthetics

Back