M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard question

C

CANE CREEK

My girlfriend likes to sing so for Xmas i was thinking of buying her an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard and a Sure SM58 Mic , I was just wondering if the sure MIC will plug into the Audiophile soundcard ok so she can record her vocals in cubase.
Looking at the cards on the M-audio site i can't see where you can plug a 1/4 inch jack or mini jack ?.
I would of sooner bought her the Terratec DMX6fire but her PC doesn't have a spare slot for the front breakout box.
SO is the Audiophile 24/96 up for the job ?

You need a mic preamp, the inputs on the audiophile 24/96 are line level.

The 2496 does come with an XLR connector, it's just that it plugs into the card. But as mungo says: preamp.

@Carnage,
Do who in the what now? :) My Audiophile 24/96 only came with RCA and MIDI connectors. You got a special inside source? :)

@Cane,
As Mungo and Carnage mentioned, page 12 of the 24/96 manual states "2496 does not have preamplifiers builtin. Therefore direct connection to a microphone is not recommended." Mic->Preamp->24/96 is what you need.

Buy a cheap little mixer along with the 24/96, such as a behringher 4 channel or something and youre good to go...You can pick one of those up for dirt cheap, like $69 brand new-

nopster said:
@Carnage,
Do who in the what now? :) My Audiophile 24/96 only came with RCA and MIDI connectors. You got a special inside source? :)

Opps, sorry about that. I actually have an MQ1 in my computer, which has an XLR connector from the back right next to my 2496 connectors. I got a wee bit confused then :rolleyes:

Back