Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low memory

Thanks

Low memory

Sign in to disable this ad
    My computer runs pretty slow and a message keeps poppin up sayin my Virtual memory is low. What do i need to expand my memory? what should i buy?
    How much will it cost? I read on a post that they saved there tracks to a seperate driver. I have no clue how i would do that. Someone help me out. Also a read a post that said someone had there computer tweaked for Pro Tools. How would i go about tweakin my computer for Cubase??? Also I have an unbelievable amount of pop ups from explorer when im online and i dont even use explorer is there any way to disable explorer from poppin up when im not using it???
    Thanks

Thanks
    I think you are at the point where you should start learning more about your computer and how it works.

It's not an "appliance" like a toaster or blender.

It's a tool, like a chainsaw or backhoe. You have to learn to operate it properly, or you will never get good use out of it.

Thanks
    Hmmm... Thanks?
    I'll keep that in mind

Thanks
    first of all, dont use internet explorer, theres too many flaws. instead use mozilla (Get it Here)or opera (Get it Here). once youve installed either of those, download the newest versions of adaware (Here), spybot S&D (Here, and hijack this (Here). install and run adaware first (make sure you update the reference file when each time you scan), then install and run spybot (make sure you immunize after youve scanned and fixed), and finally run hijack this. be careful when you run hijack this because it finds everything that could possibly be a threat including vital system files. if youre not sure about some of the items dont "fix" them.

virtual memory is exactly how it sounds, when your computer uses up all its ram it partitions off part of your hard drive (up to 1 gig sometimes) to use as psuedo-ram. the easiest and best way to remedy this problem is to buy some more ram. whether youre recording a dozen audio tracks at once or just one midi track it helps to have at least 512mb of ram. if you have 512 or less definately upgrade to 1 gig. if you already have more than 512, you must have tons of extra programs running and running those three programs will help.

i know this seems like a lot of work but its really not.

oh and a 512 mb stick of ram will be anywhere from $50 to $100 or more depending on the type of ram. research what type you need before you buy.
    I play piano, guitar, drums, and trombone. I'm a regular one man band. Ask me something about computers, 90% of the time I'll have the answer.

Thanks
    Alright i appreciate that hollip. Im installing these programs right now.

Thanks
    Originally posted by BThrowd
    ... I'll keep that in mind
    Which means - probably - that you'll ignore my advice (because I didn't give you easy answers) and continue to operate your PC in "I really don't have any idea how any of this works" mode.

If that's the case (and forgive me if I am leaping to conclusions) you'll continue to have the same kinds of problems.

hollip3020 is a nice person trying to help you, but the advice given really isn't going to help much. Loading new software (especially new web browsers and spyware removers) is a good idea, but doesn't address the core problems you are having.

Thanks
    DansGold
    No your right. I do need to learn more about my computer thats exactly what im tryin to do. But you made no attempt at all to address my question or my problem (which is ok) but i just cant help but wonder why you even replyed to my question, other than the parable of the toaster and the backhoe you told me nothing. Could you possibly elaborate a little? I'll be the first to tell ya that i dont know ish about computers but dont attempt to make me feel ignorant for asking a simple question.
    I'm learning as i go homie, gimme a break

Hollip
    thanks again man. I cant even remember the last time my computer ran so well.

Thanks
    Originally posted by BThrowd
    ... I'll be the first to tell ya that i dont know ish about computers but dont attempt to make me feel ignorant for asking a simple question.
    Well, I wasn't attempting to make you feel anything, just trying to open your mind to some new possibilities.

But let's be honest with each other, okay? You didn't "ask a simple question", you asked several unrelated questions jumping all over the place with no rhyme or reason. So let's just put that "I just asked a simple question and you jumped all over me trying to make me feel ignorant" nonsense to bed ... cuz it's not reality and it doesn't play.

Now, none of this makes you stupid or ignorant or anything else you might imagine that I am trying to make you feel.

It does make you confused in your thinking. Thankfully (unlike being stupid) that's something you can correct.

If I were to expand on my earlier thoughts, I think you would step up your game considerably by learning the basics of the technology you use. Asking "how do I expand my memory" is a bit like buying a car and then (when the gas gauge was at 'empty') saying "what's gas?, how do I put it in? and how much does it cost?"

Same thing with "saved their tracks to a seperate driver". That's either a typo or you don't know the difference between a drive and a driver, and either way you sure haven't got a clue about what one is and how it is used. This is basic, basic stuff (the kind of thing my 13-year-old daughter would be embarrassed not to know) and you really want to get a handle on it as soon as you can.

Otherwise your computer is just a "magic box" for you. And you'll be using it like a caveman who has just discovered a Zippo lighter. That's not good for you or your music.

There are several good books about basic computer skills and technology. If you have the money for a computer, certainly you can afford the means to learn about it as well.

Why is this even important? Well, knowledge is power isn't it? Who do you want to be in charge of your destiny? What if you had an opportunity to do something that would boost your career, and it got all fouled up because you didn't know something basic?

One of the skills of almost every top producer is first-class technical knowledge. That doesn't mean you have to dedicate your life to becoming an expert on everything having to do with computers, but you should know the basics.
    Last edited by dansgold; 08-21-2004 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    Jesus Dansgold...if you put %15 of the energy you put into blasting the cat about his lack of knowledge and what he should know and start learning etc. and instead dropped some Knowledge on the guy, you probably woulda helped alot more....jaded much?

Thanks
    youre welcome BThrowd
    anytime
    I play piano, guitar, drums, and trombone. I'm a regular one man band. Ask me something about computers, 90% of the time I'll have the answer.

Thread Information