Low memory

B

BThrowd

My computer runs pretty slow and a message keeps poppin up sayin my Virtual memory is low. What do i need to expand my memory? what should i buy?
How much will it cost? I read on a post that they saved there tracks to a seperate driver. I have no clue how i would do that. Someone help me out. Also a read a post that said someone had there computer tweaked for Pro Tools. How would i go about tweakin my computer for Cubase??? Also I have an unbelievable amount of pop ups from explorer when im online and i dont even use explorer is there any way to disable explorer from poppin up when im not using it???
Thanks

I think you are at the point where you should start learning more about your computer and how it works.

It's not an "appliance" like a toaster or blender.

It's a tool, like a chainsaw or backhoe. You have to learn to operate it properly, or you will never get good use out of it.

first of all, dont use internet explorer, theres too many flaws. instead use mozilla (Get it Here)or opera (Get it Here). once youve installed either of those, download the newest versions of adaware (Here), spybot S&D (Here, and hijack this (Here). install and run adaware first (make sure you update the reference file when each time you scan), then install and run spybot (make sure you immunize after youve scanned and fixed), and finally run hijack this. be careful when you run hijack this because it finds everything that could possibly be a threat including vital system files. if youre not sure about some of the items dont "fix" them.

virtual memory is exactly how it sounds, when your computer uses up all its ram it partitions off part of your hard drive (up to 1 gig sometimes) to use as psuedo-ram. the easiest and best way to remedy this problem is to buy some more ram. whether youre recording a dozen audio tracks at once or just one midi track it helps to have at least 512mb of ram. if you have 512 or less definately upgrade to 1 gig. if you already have more than 512, you must have tons of extra programs running and running those three programs will help.

i know this seems like a lot of work but its really not.

oh and a 512 mb stick of ram will be anywhere from $50 to $100 or more depending on the type of ram. research what type you need before you buy.

Alright i appreciate that hollip. Im installing these programs right now.

BThrowd said:
... I'll keep that in mind
Which means - probably - that you'll ignore my advice (because I didn't give you easy answers) and continue to operate your PC in "I really don't have any idea how any of this works" mode.

If that's the case (and forgive me if I am leaping to conclusions) you'll continue to have the same kinds of problems.

hollip3020 is a nice person trying to help you, but the advice given really isn't going to help much. Loading new software (especially new web browsers and spyware removers) is a good idea, but doesn't address the core problems you are having.

DansGold
No your right. I do need to learn more about my computer thats exactly what im tryin to do. But you made no attempt at all to address my question or my problem (which is ok) but i just cant help but wonder why you even replyed to my question, other than the parable of the toaster and the backhoe you told me nothing. Could you possibly elaborate a little? I'll be the first to tell ya that i dont know ish about computers but dont attempt to make me feel ignorant for asking a simple question.
I'm learning as i go homie, gimme a break

Hollip
thanks again man. I cant even remember the last time my computer ran so well.

BThrowd said:
... I'll be the first to tell ya that i dont know ish about computers but dont attempt to make me feel ignorant for asking a simple question.
Well, I wasn't attempting to make you feel anything, just trying to open your mind to some new possibilities.

But let's be honest with each other, okay? You didn't "ask a simple question", you asked several unrelated questions jumping all over the place with no rhyme or reason. So let's just put that "I just asked a simple question and you jumped all over me trying to make me feel ignorant" nonsense to bed ... cuz it's not reality and it doesn't play.

Now, none of this makes you stupid or ignorant or anything else you might imagine that I am trying to make you feel.

It does make you confused in your thinking. Thankfully (unlike being stupid) that's something you can correct.

If I were to expand on my earlier thoughts, I think you would step up your game considerably by learning the basics of the technology you use. Asking "how do I expand my memory" is a bit like buying a car and then (when the gas gauge was at 'empty') saying "what's gas?, how do I put it in? and how much does it cost?"

Same thing with "saved their tracks to a seperate driver". That's either a typo or you don't know the difference between a drive and a driver, and either way you sure haven't got a clue about what one is and how it is used. This is basic, basic stuff (the kind of thing my 13-year-old daughter would be embarrassed not to know) and you really want to get a handle on it as soon as you can.

Otherwise your computer is just a "magic box" for you. And you'll be using it like a caveman who has just discovered a Zippo lighter. That's not good for you or your music.

There are several good books about basic computer skills and technology. If you have the money for a computer, certainly you can afford the means to learn about it as well.

Why is this even important? Well, knowledge is power isn't it? Who do you want to be in charge of your destiny? What if you had an opportunity to do something that would boost your career, and it got all fouled up because you didn't know something basic?

One of the skills of almost every top producer is first-class technical knowledge. That doesn't mean you have to dedicate your life to becoming an expert on everything having to do with computers, but you should know the basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus Dansgold...if you put %15 of the energy you put into blasting the cat about his lack of knowledge and what he should know and start learning etc. and instead dropped some Knowledge on the guy, you probably woulda helped alot more....jaded much?

Ebbiguise555 said:
Jesus Dansgold...if you put %15 of the energy you put into blasting the cat about his lack of knowledge and what he should know and start learning etc. and instead dropped some Knowledge on the guy, you probably woulda helped alot more....jaded much?
Nobody is stopping you. Maybe you should follow your own advice and start dropping knowledge on the guy.

Nothing I've said is too far from what you have written in several of your posts, so I'm not sure why it is OK for you, but not for me.

I went out of my way to let the guy know that I wasn't trying to insult him, but jeez ... there is such a thing as being a bit too sensitive.

I am very direct, but I also usually give good, technically accurate advice and information. This board is full of people who started out thinking I was an a$$, but now realize that I am just telling it like it is, and will help anyone out with anything ... if they put forth just a teensy bit of effort themselves.

Certainly nothing wrong with that, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
hollip, thanks for that, ive only D/L Mozilla, Adaware and Spy Bot and my PC has speeded up drastically, especially downloads

ppeeaaccee

Dansgold... you seem a bit frustrated :D

Anyway. I've been using computers for the last... uhm... 12 years. I've never read any books about computers... And I never will. I've just done what Bthrowd did: asked around whenever a problem has accured. It's worked fine. I don't like fiddling around with software-settings, or hardware for that matter, I just want the PC to work. So whenever something's gone wrong, I ask, either a friend or on a webforum: "what's wrong? how do I fix it?"

And - isn't it fantastic - I've always gotten help from someone(anyone)who actually do have a lot of knowledge on the specific field.

And so I gain a little more knowledge - step by step.

That's what's such a great thing with forums on the internet. 90 % of the 'help me' questions asked could probably be solved by reading a book or two. But on the other hand that would mean that you'd have t ospend a lot of time, diving into a subject that - most likely - doesn't interest you very much. But luckily there are a lot of people in the world that are into that subject, and - belive it or not - most of them are glad to help!

Know, BThrowd, I don't know much about Virtual memory so I can't help you on that matter... I'll just say, that you either was very unlucky with the replies you got here, or that you should find a more open-minded willing-to-help computergeek forum the next time you need help. Sadly. :\

It is a source of constant amazement (and amusement) to me how many people there are who either cannot or will not offer any assistance to the people they defend (or worse still, offer bad or innaccuarte advice) ... but are quick to tell me how I should do it ... ;)

i think both of you should stop bickering. im sure im not the only one who doesnt care whos right or wrong. this thread isnt about who did or didnt give him good advice.

dansgold made a good point about knowing how to use a computer. 555 your comment was not neccessary, dansgold explained himself. so what if he put that much energy into a post, he was letting bthrowd know what he might do to alleviate his problem (be it not really a problem, but still).

DansGold
Are there any links i can read about drives instead of buying a book. Or some downloadable PDF manual or whatever? i wouldnt mind knowin more about it. You gotta understand bro I've never dealt with drives and never knew i would need to. Dang sure didnt know about it when i was 13. Lighten up on me man. If me postin about low memory offended you in some way then i wont post about that shyt no more.

Probably one of the smartest ways to approach this would be to do a Google search on "computer basics", and check several of the links for one that you understand the best.

dansgold said:
Nobody is stopping you. Maybe you should follow your own advice and start dropping knowledge on the guy.

Nothing I've said is too far from what you have written in several of your posts, so I'm not sure why it is OK for you, but not for me.

I went out of my way to let the guy know that I wasn't trying to insult him, but jeez ... there is such a thing as being a bit too sensitive.

I am very direct, but I also usually give good, technically accurate advice and information. This board is full of people who started out thinking I was an a$$, but now realize that I am just telling it like it is, and will help anyone out with anything ... if they put forth just a teensy bit of effort themselves.

Certainly nothing wrong with that, eh?

I can appreciate someone being direct, but there is also an instance where certain things could probably be left unsaid and though I guess you were direct, it just took you an awful long time of hazing to get to ur "direct" point. Telling someone your not trying to insult them doesnt excuse the fact that indeed, maybe you are....maybe you just have a bad way of putting thinds.....Talking about something that this guy who posted didnt grasp and comprehend, and yet its something your 12 yr old daughter would be embarrased not to understand isn't exactly constructive to your trying to NOT insult someone.

Sure there is such a thing as being too sensitive....there's also such a thing as being INsensitive....But you obviously have your ways of putting things, and I can respect that...But that doesnt mean I will dismiss someone who comes off like a total ******* for no reason when someone simply has no idea what they are doing yet still trying to better themselves and learn, even if they are being lazy about it.....Not everyone here is a master technical, computer-whiz, guru, superstar producer like you, or wanting to be...some people actually just do this sh!t for fun...Imagine that.

I appreciate your comments, and I admit to being among the most acerbic members of this board.

Having said that, I think there is something to be said about people coming to a site called "Future Producers" with no such direction or intention.

Anyone going into a "Future Fighter Pilots" forum and asking something like "hey, what's a flap?" or "hey, wassup? I copped me a F14 kin ne1 tell me what button to push to make it go?" would get similarly sarcastic treatment. And it would be deserved.

Even a modest home studio has more control-surfaces than a 747, and requires at least as much skill (albeit of a different kind) to operate. Thankfully, nothing about recording technology requires formal schooling to understand, but this fact leads many to believe that it ought to be as simple to operate as a lawn mower.

It isnt, and people trying to "just fix this one thing" without any undrerstanding of anything are doing a disservice to themselves, but more importantly to everyone else whose time they waste with "where do I find the gas cap" kinds of questions.

At the least, it should be obvious that "the Problem" isn't with experienced individuals noting that newbies need to up their game. Sadly, so many suggest that it is, as though knowledge should just be handed over in a manner requiring no effort or struggle on the part of the student.

Such a notion invariably leads to "enshrining ignorance".

Back