Logic.... wow!

Unbliss

ok guys...
I'm totally new to Logic and its composant... I just finished the install and opened it.... Then I said to myself : "WTF is this progz!"

SO ! can someone of you guys can tell me what good features Logic has and how can I take advantage of it???

Why everybody is sayin so good things about it?

I didnt navigate into the prog so I only saw the interferface.

Most of the time I'm recording rock band but these days I'm trying to incorporate acoustica to electronica.

Cya!

i would say your best bet is to read through the manual, test things out, read through the manual some more, try some of the tutorials that come with it, then if you need more help, ask here, or search the web for user groups and tutorials and such.

Wow, you must have had a lot of faith in it to buy it without knowing much about it.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it, though, if you take the time to learn its features. With its latest version it becomes the most powerful multi-track environment available for Mac OS X. Well, actually, the only one at this time (according to the Apple website).

(Of course, as you probably know, since Apple bought Emagic they've pulled and will no longer support the Windows version -- but they'll offer you a free "cross-grade" to the Mac version if you want to go out and buy a Mac hardware system.)

Last edited:
Mmmmm... SMP G4 w/ dual 23" studio displays? Yes, please.
If somebody dumped that setup in my lap I think I'd probably turn it in for a 2.4 gHz Pentium with a couple of big fast drives and a nice 19" flat panel (I can hear the groans now) -- then take the remaining $4000 and split it between the custom built classical guitar I've always wanted, a nice re-worked Strat, and a really nice mic.

But, yes, part of me (the part that always used to get me in trouble with girlfriends) would be tempted to keep the dual G4 and maybe even one of the Cinema Displays (but probably not the display) and wait for Digital Performer for OS X...

Well... maybe I'd keep the display. ;)

Last edited:
deffinitely read the manual. the more you read, the less intimidating the interface will become.

Haha, it's true Mac hardware is overpriced... Cycle for cycle you could get a better deal on a PC. But OS X is the closest thing to Unix, and that's by background. Actually, I've always liked RISC hardware for graphics/audio work. That started when I used to play around on my 1040 STe. :) Regardless, on my budget, I'll have to build my next DAW (PC based).

As for the displays... I bet you'd keep 'em if they were dumped in your lap. ;) A roommate has the 17" model, and it looks fairly superior to another friend's Samsung. (I have to get a LCD... 21" CRT wastes a lot of desk space!)

Yeah the 1040 could have evolved into a really great platform as far as I can tell. (Seems like I remember it had a multi-thread, multi-tasking OS, too... ah well.)

Well... I like the wide-open aspect of the PC... although I'm feeling increasingly hemmed in by MS... even as I admit that they're doing SOME of their job better... XP has a somewhat more open and logical layout of system access (always one of the most irritating aspects of Windowsss in the past)... and it's certainly much more stable (when set up properly) than Win96 [still I look back fondly on W98 -- after I built my first W98 machine it ran 4 months without a significant problem!

And MS really did keep pushing forward the multimedia support in the OS while Apple had to count on their third parties to create their own... still that pushed Steinberg to create some often state-of-the-art drivers and plug-ins... but, whatever the merits of DirectX vis a vis the Steinberg plug in format, I like the more open platform of DirectX... I'm just more an open standards kind of guy (another reason why I stayed with the PC).

Still, I'm mightily impressed by Apple's plans for OS X -- and as someone who's built a couple PCs and had my head under the hood hundreds of times -- I was bowled over by the design elegance of the Dual G4 tower one of my graphics pals bought -- I don't mean the silly Capt. Nemo outside -- give me a plain beige box I can stash under the desk -- no, it was the guts that impressed the heck out of me... I realize that a proprietary system like that can afford to design for simplicity and ease of access -- but DANG! it just made me want to get in there and tinker around.

The appeal to me of the LCD isn't size nearly so much as heat. My little studio is in a 11x11 room with the window blocked off and insulated and it's tough to keep the AC off during the days for at least a couple months a year. As far as picture quality goes -- I'll take a CRT any day. (But that's not much of an issue on a DAW and neither is display speed so that part's a good fit.)

Last edited:
Ever since I got my new G4, I've been itching for a second monitor since they come stock with a dual vid card. I was thinking the 22" apple cinema display, but even I'm not that decadent. However, if one accidently came into my possesion I'd keep it.

Well, you should definitely consider getting a throwaway 17" CRT for a hundred bucks or less. You can set up your multi-track ware so that the clip / wave view is on the big side and, say, the fader view is on the little side. (But if you've got the bucks... hey, get a LCD -- even if they're not the greatest for watching video and games -- their perfect for audio work. (And run much cooler, too.)

One of my photog buddies has his Dual 800 G4 set up that way (only photoshop) and he really likes having all the floating palettes out of the way.

I've considered getting a second vid card and monitor for my PC since I could get a card and 17" for around a hundred bucks -- but my room just can't take any more heat. With my mixer and other gear on the heat just builds up...

Back