Live act

T

The Scientist

My friends and i got an livebookings in this month and n december at two small or middle small parties. for free only the transport is payd, just for fun.

i have never made a gig without feeling stressed. last year in berlin and in summer 01 open air. its evrytime a stressed producing before.... nights and sleepless ours at cubase a few days before the gig happen.

the problem is: how we make it this time.......????

we have apleton-live-software ....its very good for acts, but we will not able to make an act in 2 weeks and learn how it works. we have cubase arranges......about 8 tracks will we play.-......

our idea was.... exporting mastered arranges from cubase to acid- and use acid for livearranging(!!!) the tracks and parts. while the other pc mix in parts with apleton-live and trigger synthies.......

any ideas dudes???:eek:

First off I've never done anything like that, so you might think that what I'm saying doesn't apply but....
I'm from a band type background and have done hundreds of gigs (damn that's scary). One of the really useful things that you discover as a band is that there is a huge difference between 'practicing' and 'rehearsing'. The distinctions in the words might not be perfect but what I'm getting at is this: you need to spend time working out what you're going to play, let's call this practicing. In your case it will be the part where you sort out how you will play back your tracks (sorry can't help you there) what kind of outboard fx you will use, etc, etc. Once you've done that you need to 'rehearse'. That means running through the songs as you would do in the live situation. This means that you won't realise for the first time that something doesn't work in front of your audience.

Hope my philosophy of pre-performance;) helps a bit, sorry I can't give more practical advice.

KasioRoks

Have you considered hardware sequencing?

I'm currently looking at getting a yamaha RM1x for live work - sequences just as comprehensively as cubase but with knobs on and the ability to play any section of any of your tracks at the press of a button. i like the flexibility this would offer in a live setting.

I've seen them for UK£380, if anyone knows cheaper, please post and let me (us) know.

I just don't trust pcs to not screw stuff up, and a little bit of hardware is much easier to transport to gigs.

Gio

was just going to ask a question like this. my brother and I are going to persue being a live electronic group. right now the only real hardware i got is ctk-671, a pair of techs, and a mixer; since i do all computer based sequencing.Of course we are willing to spend the amount of money neccesary in order to have a proper live show. the rmx1 does look like a good choice. i think the control freak would also be a good piece of equipment for both live, and in the studio. could anyone else recommed any "must have" pieces of equipment to play live.

i really don't trust computers to perform live.

"We are sorry for the interuption, but we are rebooting windows. It will just be a few minutes."

I'm in a band and we use an MPC2000 for the main sample sequences - it's rock solid. It's cool 'cause it also provides a click track on one channel which the drummer uses as a guide.

"We are sorry for the interuption, but we are rebooting windows. It will just be a few minutes."

looool!!!:D :cheers:

good luck with your gig. hope i am not too late to respond.
first off i have never played live, couldnt stand the hassle and wouldnt be willing to accept the limitations of a live set. its got to be a compromise with the track as you are limited with equipment and time live. you cant take the whole studio with you.
most folks kinda cheat when they play live. you can put the basics of the whole set onto a DAT or minidsic and play it , improvising on top of it with what equipment you have. another popular way is to take samples of most of the track with just a few parts missing, maybe a loop of nearly the main part of the track and a loop of the break, do this for each track you are going to play in your set and then set each up on a different track along the hardware sequencer. mute them all apart from the first one so all are actually playing together. then you can just mute and unmute each part as you go along and the performance progresses. you can then improvise on top of this and hold parts playing for longer or shorter depending on how the crowd is reacting. this is what most people do either with a hardware sampler or similarily but with a DAW. this holds for all electronic performances and is the way i have seen most doing it.
its a bit of a trauma, how live can live really be with electronica, the best sets usually follow the above format while truly live performances although great usually lack quality.

well faithless is one of greatest live groups out there, and they're "eletronic." they also have live drummers and such too, but usually the main beat is triggered.

faithless is a bit different as they operate a bit more like a traditional group. this gives more hands to operate stuff. you will still find though that the basis of their performance is played from a dat , DAW or a sampler. most likely one of the first two then sister bliss just plays the main synth part, the dude sings and the percussionist is there to make it look good and add some swing to the session.
at the end of the day there is always the question of how live electronica can actually be. its always a trade between live and quality i am afraid depending on how labour intensive your tracks are. obviously the more folks on stage, the more live things you can have. even in the studio though, a production is never that live. all the tracks are set up and then at final mix everything is basically just running controlled by the sequencer. its hardly "live" in the true sense of it and this is as close to live as pure electronica gets.all the instruments playing

If you want to see a dope live electronica act, see The Avalanches if you get the chance. It'll change your way of thinking towards sampling in live shows.

wouldnt really consider the avalanches electronica. have seen them live too and thought they were as **** as i had always suspected. personal opinion though. they make disney hip hop, its just gimicky and aint nothing jurassic five and many others have already done....but ages ago.

Back