linking computers

P

PsyKose

hi i'd like to hook up 2 computers in my studio.
Can i do this by usb or utp or anything like this, so that my software is synchronized etc...???
anyone familiar with this method??
thanx

If you have sequncing software on both machines, they can be synchronized through MIDI.

If you put Brainspawn on one machine, it can act as "VST MIDI Module" for the primary system.

If you use FX-Transport on one machine, it can act as a "remote processor" for VSTs running through the primary machine.

and how about the connections??? how can i connect them? do i need a midi-controller then or can i do it with usb/utp or whatever

Last edited by a moderator:
So far as how you connect the machines ...

The first two methods use MIDI.

The last uses a CAT5 network cable, and requires both computers to have an Ethernet adapter (quite common in most new machines, and very inexpensive to add)

It's very clear from the nature of your questions that you really need to research this stuff a LOT before jumping into it.

You need - at minimum - to get a clear understanding of audio connections and a clear understanding of MIDI and how it works.

www.tweakheadz.com is a good place for you to start learning this stuff.

yeah yeah i know enough about midi and computers :)

so tell me, how does it work with the ethernet?

THANX :D

ah no help needed anymore, i found an interesting article on tweakheadz

thank you for reminding me about that site :p

This is a great way of getting more out of each CPU, and not pricey these days.

I currently run 4 PCs on a Local Area Network (LAN), one with Nuendo, one with just plugins and virtual synths and Korg Oasys, one giga sampler and one Avid DVXpress Pro system.

All are linked via the cables and thus sharing files and the like between them is very simple. Also with the items shared each PC is running well below capacity which was essentially the point of the excercise.

HOWEVER you will likely have to invest in some near-silent Power Supplys and CPU fans as one PC is noisy enough - any more becomes troublesome.

Of course the audio computers are also linked by Midi for control.

If you run Windows XP it is even easier as it does most of the setup for you.

Good look with it.

Pauly

Back