laptops for production / recording

projectsoul

im going to get a laptop in a month or so, along with the 1616m im thinkin

i was wondering what i should be looking for in a laptop

any of you use a windows based lap for production work?

I use two sony vaio laptops for my production. I like them. I have had very few problems with either of them. Depending on how much you spend you could get a very fast, very reliable vaio. My newest one is about six minths old. 2.77 Ghz p4 processor, 512 mb ddrram. That's pretty sufficient for just about any music production. But honestly, if you are in the market to buy a laptop....you should probably get a powerbook. After all Mac's are the multimedia computers.

Last edited:
Of course I don't have any knowledge as to your setup, as well as what kind of music you make. Different styles of music require different gear. But as far as what you should look for in a computer, you should look for one that has the capability to do what you want it to do. Fast processor, lots of ram, bighd, lots of usb ports, maybe even firewire ports. I don't know. I know this is probably out of your pricerange but check this out : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MusicXPCM2

Look at Sagers if you want to run windows

I did a large amount of research recently before I bought my laptop .. and I decided that PC was still thw way for me to go . I run Cubase SX personally, and Samplitude 7 at the studio i work for, so keeping the platform the same was important to my future work oppertunity ;) plus if youre technically inclined, clustering computers is easier on PC than mac (linux clusters can run off a CD on PC, and share all the processing power for huge projects w/ lots of plug-ins)

I was looking at gaming machines, why? cuz they are insnaley speced out. Alienware makes some great machines, and with a price tag to patch .. Sager and Clevo make the same machines (all the parts bought from the same places) but don't have as big a name attached to them. Check out www.pctorque.com

I got a Sager 5600, this isn't state of the art by any means: but a few of my specs are ::

800MB Front Side Buss
3 GhZ P4 (real P4, not some M version)
1Gig DDR400 Dual Channel RAM
60gig 5400rpm drive
4 usb 2.0
1 firewire400
ATI Radeon 9600 (tons of screen real-estate) + it's a dual head card, So I can support a seperate monitor as another desktop for big projects.

Total cost after shipping? $1,400

Got a deal on ebay cuz that model has been discontinued.

Ok greaaat ::: So i have more power than two of my regualr old desktops (literally, that frontside bus speed is huge) .. I can run massive amounts of processing, and never have a glitch.

Downsides? sure:
- The battery lasts for 1 hour!
- it runs reeeally hot (it IS a desktop P4 inside a tiny case) .. so the fans can be loud
- definatly not light, or slimline

But I decided that the extra power was nessacary for some of the work that I plan on. Ask yoruself what you are going to use the machine for? Producing beats in fruity loops? Running 4 instances of Rekator +12 Waves plug-ins? Live recording? (loud fans?) how many tracks ... :: answer those, then find your price range. . and buy $300 higher ;)

NYF said:
this is probably out of your pricerange but check this out : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MusicXPCM2

^^OMG that mofo is expensive
longeek.gif

Back