Laptop Needed. Help!

eternalYouth

so im at my friends house the other day and the music gods decend upon me while im there, i get an idea for a song.. PROBLEM!!!! im a half hour away from my house and i have a terrible memory!! whats a guy to do?!

SOLUTION! buy a laptop and take it everywhere i go! haha thats right! a mobel producer! :D

im not sure if anyone else does this but frankly i dont care. its a good idea for me and im gonna do it. my question is what kind of laptop would best suit my needs? ...and for under 2 grand *american*.

obviously i need lots of ram so a basis to start with would be 512mb's and ugrade the other slot to another 512. instant gig of ram. woohoo. another thing, it needs to be a windows machine.. not because i think windows is so much better but because i already have a windows workhorse and to make networking easier i would prefer billy gates. the size of the harddrive really doenst matter to much because ill be transfering everything over to my workstation... so 30 gig or higher would be fine.

i guess my biggest concern is the processor. im an absolute novice when it comes to mobil processor technology. im a desktop kinda guy and this is my first venture into such areas. ive heard wonderful things about the intel M processor ... outperforms the pentium 4-m apperntly. but like a lot of people im pretty skeptical of intel.

right now im seriously considering the ibm thinkpad x31. seems like a great machine and just under 2 grand with the upgraded ram.

any thoughts?

I'll co-sign with Sleepy on the Centrino recommendation.

A 1.4Ghz Centrino performs about as well as a 2.8Ghz P4 ... kindof a good rule-of-thumb to go by.

USE THE VOICE MEMO on your cell phone, Hum or beatbox your beat over your cell phone voice memo . When you get home, replay it and create it in your studio. Or get a really cool laptop ,, MAC or a P4

eternalYouth said:
so im at my friends house the other day and the music gods decend upon me while im there, i get an idea for a song.. PROBLEM!!!! im a half hour away from my house and i have a terrible memory!! whats a guy to do?!

SOLUTION! buy a laptop and take it everywhere i go! haha thats right! a mobel producer! :D

Or you can get a small pocket recorder and hum the melody. That way, when you get home, you will remember it. THis works for me. ANd I just record right into my cell phone. Saves a lot of money.

truly consider switching to a mac. The G4 powerbooks are well worth the money. Then you can use the high end software (lots to choose from) to its full potential. Check out www.zzounds.com/a--2676837 for nice prices too!!

I 3rd the Centrino 1.4.

I'm having the same dilema at the moment as well. For me, to get a laptop I'd have to sell most of my studio equipment (i've accumulated a lot of gem equipment over the years).

I love the idea of being able to work on tracks anywhere but i also like sitting down and working in a studio. man... this is a toughy :D

Back