ive got a decent audio system. useable as monitors?

B

BASSINVADA

my soundsystem (2.0 passive) is astouning people that listen to it.
how could i find out if its able to be used as a reference monitor system? are there test files/programs that are usefull.
i thaught about creating a frequencie sweep, playing it over the speakers, recording it and then analyse the recorded file, but i think thats useless since i dont know if my mike runs linear (guess not) and my room has got resonance (as every room has).

what do ise do?

It's tricky to some extent - If they sound great, that's great.

If you don't *KNOW* if they sound great, you aren't going to be able to trust *any* set of monitors anyway.

Case in point - There are a lot of really, really bad sounding speakers out there that people think sound wonderful - And most of those people are complaining about their mixes sounding like crap. If they had the listening skills needed to tell what sounds good and full range, etc., there wouldn't be an issue.

On the matter of the speakers themselves - I'm not familiar with them. If they are some sort of boutique audiophile-grade speakers, then almost undoubtedly, they're going to serve you much better than some crappy little box that says "STUDIO MONITOR" on it.

But *really* what are they - How big? What sort of drivers? How heavy? What kind of mass are we talking about? Are they bookshelf speakers? Floor-standing? Short-throw? Medium? Long? Wide or narrow dispersion?

Can your *room* handle the speakers? That's arguably going to be more important than the speakers in the long run...

Well, I'm far from a pro, but isn't the goal of studio monitors to provide you with a flat frequency response and uncolored sound? If people are comin' in and saying they're impressed with the way your speakers sound, I don't know how transparent/flat/'raw' they can really be...

If everything sounds good on them, I wouldn't use them as monitors, because a song you make and like might sound like crap on many other systems; whereas one goal of using studio monitors is to allow the quality of your tunes to be more portable across a wide range of audio equipment.

In other words, if you make a tune that sounds good on a studio monitor, with a flat frequency response and uncolored sound, it should sound good on any speakers you play the finished product on. If you make a tune that sounds good on a setup that sounds good, how do you know if it's your song or the setup that's making it sound good?

Of course, this is far from a cut-and-dry case, but that's my .02...

Well, lets' get away from that "flat response" and "uncolored sound" from a studio monitor stuff... If there's a set out there that are truly flat, uncolored and accurate, I've yet to hear them... Not for under $10k or so anyway...

I'll take audiophile-grade HiFi components over cheesy boxes that say "studio monitor" on them any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back