Irritating buzz from my amp!!! Help!

S

Sleepgolfer

My guitar amp is emmiting this high frequency buzz all the time. When I touch the strings it goes away but not totaly. I've read about ground loops and have tried isolating the ground wire but that didn't help...I don't know what to do. I have 2 guitars which don't make any noise when I play in my rehearsal room. I don't have to tell you what happens when I try to record clean guitar parts on my computer. The amp is a small bedroom Orange crush 15R. When I plug the guitar straight into my soundcard the problem's the same...bzzzzzzzzz...HELP!
Turning off my monitor helped but the main buzz won't go away...Is there a device which can solve the lousy ground problem?

Are the guitars that are giving you problems single coil pickups? These types are typically very prone to picking up that buzz.

A high quality guitar cord with good shielding can sometimes help.

Yep those are single coil and known for that noise. There isn't much you can do but try to reduce it as much as possible, i.e. keep it away from other electrical devices and of course as you have found, keep your hand on the strings.

Humbucker pickups were invented to reduce this and help give Gibson's their classic sound. That isn't availabe on your strats, although some models do have 1 humbucker pickup.

you can go to a good guitar shop and get a quality humbucker to fit these guitars. you will also probably improve the overall sound quality as well.

Tim20 said:
Yep those are single coil and known for that noise. There isn't much you can do but try to reduce it as much as possible, i.e. keep it away from other electrical devices and of course as you have found, keep your hand on the strings.

Humbucker pickups were invented to reduce this and help give Gibson's their classic sound. That isn't availabe on your strats, although some models do have 1 humbucker pickup.

truth has been told. i fixed the same problem by getting a long whirlwind leader 1/4 inch cable and stayed away from all things electronic. much less hum.

Back