"Industry Standard"

Really ...?

You don't care if your CDs are ISO 9600 compliant ... so they can play on your CD player?

And you you don't care if when you buy a MIDI keyboard (or anything else) that it follows MIDI standards so that everything can work together?

You don't care that the connectors on every piece of electronics you own (MPCs, Keyboards, PCs, Mixers, etc.) are made to IEEE industry standards so that everything works?

Just funnin' with you ...I think (if you think about it) that you really do care about industry standards ... a LOT :D

You don't care if your CDs are ISO 9600 compliant ... so they can play on your CD player?
It'd be nice if some of the cheaper burners could support CLV so we could burn some "real" audio CD's.

i meant in regards to the post of people talking about PT being Industry Standard and people believing that's the only "real professional" route to go.

ahhh ... figured it would end up being something like that.

Yep, I know what ya mean.

The ProTools hype is a part of the whole "star-producer" hype that has taken over in the past couple of years. People are buying Tritons and MPC's like crazy, and then come here asking what they should do with 'em. Same thing with production terminology - people hear about things like mastering, EQ'ing, compression, layering samples, etc etc. and then we get questions like "I heard I should do some EQ'ing, how do I do it?" - without the faintest idea why they are doing it or what they're trying to accomplish.

Probably the most irritating part of this whole affair would be the "I've been doing beats for a week, how much I can sell 'em for?" -type of "producer" that have been popping up everywhere. A healthy approach, in my opinion, would be the will to make music, not to make money (while it's very nice if you do make money with your stuff). Professional composing work is a different deal - at least the approach to how one gets to such a position is usually different.

I think I had a point ... at some point. I might have lost it by now :)

krushing said:
Same thing with production terminology - people hear about things like mastering, EQ'ing, compression, layering samples, etc etc. and then we get questions like "I heard I should do some EQ'ing, how do I do it?" - without the faintest idea why they are doing it or what they're trying to accomplish.

amen brother!! :cheers:

Gear don't maketh the producer, its all in the mind. A **** hot producer could put an album togther with dental floss and a jar of pickled onions if he had to. Its experience and know-how, the principles of good production are the same no matter what gear you're using.

peac

Well said , that man.
The problem in the UK is that most studios have to cater for PT buit that's mainly for multimedia projects. For toons, any sequencer and some decent dynamics plus a mixer(if going the hardware route) will do well. Moby did his **** at home on a computer . Like the man said, knowledge is the key to open all doors.

I don't beleive in the so called "Industry Standard" you do what you want, how you want, on what you want. My great hits have been produce with gear that's not "Indusrty Standard". I think a piece of gear gets labeled as "Industry Standard" if a certain producer or serveral studios use it. It gets all the hype, just use what you want. :monkey: :cheers: :bigeyes: :hello:

Good point, but if you look further and want to collaborate with other people, or even further if you want to rent it, you'll have to own some industry standard stuff or the people won't come.
But I know this is in most cases thought too far... ;)

My view is use whatever you are most comfortable with. People say that Pro Tools is the **** because it is one of the best sounding DAW's out there, period.

a big thing with "industry standard" stuff is professional studios seeing their demise coming by way of high quality project studio setups....so what do they do? they go for the biggest baddest most expensive stuff out to try to retain clients. those clients aren't paying for studio time...their label is, and let's be honest most label execs are going to listen to the studio engineer about quality matters....so what happens? the labels demand their projects done at only the best...only the best is affordable by only the biggest...and the little guys with project studios are forced to either upgrade, pay for studio time to dump final projects, or piss into the wind

Back