Im really thinking of a laptop

D

Deal

I am thinking about buying a laptop and a good soundcard, something tascams fw. What do you guys think?
I will mainly be doing production on it, using samples and things like battery and vsts. I will also be doing some vocal recording, however I want a laptop that will give me enough power so I do not have to worry about my cpu struggling during recording.
Any ideas from you guys? I dont want to spend over a thousand dollars also.
It needs to have a couple firewire ports and usb 2.0
and dvdrw.
Preferably amd, because its the only processor I have used to date.
Thank you and email me or reply back here.
Deal426@aol.com

yeah that laptop is a piece of sh*t for the price. honestly, who needs a builtin webcam on a production laptop?

you can get a much better dell for less than half that price

i configured an inspiron 9300 for $1200 (512 ram, 1.6 p-m, 60 gb hd, dvd-rw). that price will only last till the 13th, but theres always coupons that give you $400, $500 or even $750 off. check here: http://www.dailyedeals.com/free_online_coupons/dell.htm for the coupon codes and what they apply to.

Last edited:
sony vaio seems to be very good if you want a pc, but most ppl go for a mac G4 laptop still.

I prefer to work on a desktop pc cause it's more flexibel concerning ad on's and so.

I also use vst's and do that in cubase sx, cause fruity loops supports vst's but it's rather limited to me.

the tascam fw series are very good, surely worth the money you pay for it cause they combine a lot of functions (digital mixer/preamps/soundcard/midi device/midi controller) in one in high tascam quality for a decent price.

check these out.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product2.cfm?ProductType=9880&SubType=C

for just under $3,000 you can get a sager with a

3Ghz processor (you can go higher)
2GB (2048MB) DDR 533 Ram
2 100B HD's INTERNAL (Raid 0 or Raid1)
DVDRW/CDRW
Nvidia GeFource PCI Express 256MB Vid Card
10/100/1000 MB Network connection
integrated webcam (not necessary but cool)

This laptop is probably better then 95% of the computers FP members use Mac or PC based. i own a Sager model that is a few years old but it still tight as hell and better then most ppl's stuff i run everything on it and have yet to run into any real problems. you do have to worry about poor shielding inside of laptops that create noise. i sometimes get noise, it is faint and is not actually in the recordings when exported and burned to CD.

i know this is alot more then you want to spend but i figured i would share this with FP because alot of ppl dont know that these types of laptops exist outside of Alienwear.

Last edited by a moderator:
what company you know will build a laptop with better specs and a better price? i hate MAC's and besides isnt a MAC G4 a desktop? this is a laptop i am talking about.

regardless, that laptop is not worth the money, you can get a way better deal than that.
And this post I clearly stated around that I did not want to spend much over 1000. So why would you post a 4000 dollar laptop that isnt worth the price?
I do not mind if the laptop is second hand.
I just want to know that I can run all the vst's ,cubase sx 3, and record no problem.
Because why have a desktop computer, if you can have a laptop and doing the same thing?

Deal said:
regardless, that laptop is not worth the money, you can get a way better deal than that.
And this post I clearly stated around that I did not want to spend much over 1000. So why would you post a 4000 dollar laptop that isnt worth the price?
I do not mind if the laptop is second hand.
I just want to know that I can run all the vst's ,cubase sx 3, and record no problem.
Because why have a desktop computer, if you can have a laptop and doing the same thing?

What you have to realize is that laptops can run just as good as a PC, but it's going to cost more especially if your using it for music production. still need a second hard drive, plus a good sound card, RAM, fast processor, etc., You can get a decent laptop for $1,000 but for music production I think your going to have to spend a little more just to make sure that it runs with no problems. Try E-bay or Newegg to see what there prices might be.

your right it isn't within your budget and doesn't help you whatsoever. i posted it here for anyone thinking about getting a laptop and looks at your forum because i really support their products mine has been great. at the same time i don't think your budget is going to be easy to get what you really need.
you may find a sager online used for somewhere around a G. also try Celvo they are the manufacture of the barebone kits sager uses.

here is one i found and the bidding is at $610 with 4 days left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=177&item=5208306344&rd=1

BTW, i have yet to see another laptop NEW for a better price with the stats mentioned in my last post. if it is grossly overpriced, please advise by providing the name of a company or website that offers equivalent stats for a lower price in a laptop. people are spending allot more then that on Mac's daily with a smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
jus go to bestbuy.com or some other computer store and get a cheaper laptop with like 2-4 usb/fw input and buy your own harddrive--memory--software--etc thats just like building your own computer or buy a mac

Ok. It's time I step in. www.musicxpc.com
They make computers escpecially designed for music production and that sort of stuff. The laptop is still a bit pricy, but the shuttle computer works fine. I use a laptop. It's not exactly top quality though and doesn't have a DVD burner. But it's still fine for me. Well, see ya.

-Race-

Look for a emachines m6805 laptop (amd 64 and up to 2 gigs of ram. $700-$800 used

Or I think the dell 6800 series. Same as above except pentium.

Honestly, with such a modest budget of just $1k for a notebook plus sound card plus external hard drive (which you needed coz laptop hard drives aren't fast and you need one hard drive with the system, and one for the audio) you might end up having a system which is too slow for audio production.

i say go with a desktop, cuz the price of a quality desktop good enough for music, u can have a dope desktop with all the trimmings and a flat panel to go with it. i understand you wanting to be mobile with ur music, but im not a fan of laptops for music, especially recording like u said. too many little things to worry about.

I spent $1400 after shipping for my laptop DAW

Sager 5600 off Ebay

- 3.02 Ghz P4 (prescott) w/ HT
- 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel RAM
- 256mb ATI Radeon graphics card (with dual head monitor support)
- 60Gb 5400rpm internal drive (7200 doesn't offer much better speed and makes laptop heat WAAy to quick)
-800MB FSB (front side bus)
- 4x USB 2.0
- 1x Firewire 400
- 10/100/1000 gigibit LAN
- internal wireless G
- DVD read /CD burn\
- la la la .. .

You definatly can get a good system for around 1G. I only wanted to spend $1000, but the extra money was well spent! This omdel has been discontinued, but read lots of reviews and find some older machines that people might want to get rid of .. One of the perks about this kind of laptop, is that the crazy gamer/tech dude who buys them new for $3000 always wants to have the newest and best, so they'll often sell them after a year or two cuz technology moves so fast.
'

Now I LOVE my sager (I ONLY use it for music production, design, and studio work) .. but it has drawbacks.

- the battery only lasts 1 hour! (P4's suck huge amounts of power, and 800FSB doens't help)

- it gets really hot really fast = fans running almost all the time

- not light, or slimline

+ never ran out of processing power for anythign i've ever thrown at it .. and it IS a desktop in a tiny package! So i justify the fans by saying, in a studio you don't record in the same room as the computer ::: this holds true for a laptop as well.

Look into what you're needs are. Maybe you need more battery power? well : don't get a true P4 : get an M version or some of the AMD's

Right now I use an HP dv7 pavilion with an intel core i7. It cost a little over 1 grand (sorry) but it has a 9.5 hour battery life. Four USB ports (great for hardware), 8GB of RAM (course you can upgrade it.) 1 TB of memory.

Basically if you want very high quality you may have to spend a little over 1 grand. Keep searching though. :)

Back