If you had $300,000 what would you do?

Jos

If you came into some money, what type of hardware/software would you put into your studio to make it a cutting edge production lab?

Questions for though:
Would you get it professionally designed?
Analog VS digital?
2.0 / 2.1 / 5.1 Speaker System?
Pro Tools vs Other Brands?
Types of Computers?

I appreciate your feedback.
Jos

I'd buy a house, so I can build my studio ANYWAY I want.

As far as equipment goes, I'm straight for now. I would invest any money left over into creating the right type of recording enviornment wherever in the house I decide to put the studio. Preferably a basement.

But thats just what I would do.

$300,000 can actually build a decent place. But in any case:

(1) Anyone would be a fool not to have it designed by a professional. You're not going to get a top-name room on that budget, but you can certainly get something decent. You're also not going to have top-grade construction on that budget. But again, you're going to get something worthy of the task.

(2) Yes. A hybrid system is (IMO) the only way to go. Or at the very least, a RADAR system as a base unit.

(3) If you're going to have a nice place designed from the bottom up, you might as well go surround-compatible with the monitoring. 90% of everything you do is going to be in stereo, but it's nice to have the possibility of expansion.

(4) I'm not a fan of PT, but a basic PTHD rig would be something handy to have. Even if it's not used as a "go to" DAW. RADAR would be the first choice as a hard-disk recorder. After that you can bounce it over into any system you want.

(5) Good ones. Sonica Labs would be my first choice.

What do you mean by a RADAR system? I haven't heard of those do you have a link?

I'm not a fan of PT either but it is what a majority of the industry uses even though it is inferior to a lot of other competitive applications.

I like those Sonica labs computers.

Jos

If i had 300,000 dollars id go ahead and pay off my college, upgrade my equipment, re-invest it and use some of it to do networkin.

ALIASTrP said:
If i had 300,000 dollars id go ahead and pay off my college, upgrade my equipment, re-invest it and use some of it to do networkin.

Yeah thats all good. Although if you get a business loan/grant you have to use it towards business and document all your expense so unfortunately, I can't do that. But I feel you on the networking. Part of the budget will definitely go into things like PMP/Myspace/Personal Website/Business Cards/Voice Mail. That way when I do end up doing some networking, I'll have an infrastructure and some places to send people who want to check out my music.

Jos

Last edited:
Invest in myspace?? hmm i wouldnt spend more than $75 on myspace and that would just be to get a GOOD myspace design. Use some of that money to attend seminars, shows, ect. You can learn alot and its great for networking. Google music seminars should pull somethin up.

Use it to finance a move to New York, L.A., or Atlanta. I just found out first hand how big a difference it is to shop work when you can network face to face with A&R's and arists. My production partner and I made more progress in a week than we had in almost 8 months just by being able to knock on doors in person.

I'd think I'd like to start developing artists and a stable of producers. Although I think having a top-notch studio could never hurt I'm starting to get past the point where I think I need more nice equipment rather than do amazing things with what's already available. So I would make deals with local home studio owners or just have them come produce in my home studio and invest about a year grooming songwriters, producers and talent and then release independantly. Enough to build a buzz and make a local impact and then look to align with a bigger entity when it's time to expand. Truth be told, that wouldn't even cost me 300k so that would be money in the bank for said expansion in the future.

I'd buy a flock of mongoose.

banded-mongoose-kenya-2006.jpg

noblewordz said:
I'd buy a flock of mongoose.

banded-mongoose-kenya-2006.jpg

Glad to see that I'm not the only smart person in this thread.

Lmao.

No but really, A Korg Triton, an MPC-4000, some monitors, a mic, 24 channel mixer, a recording room, and a turntable.. And a huge Grand Piano.... Then I might buy a cake that fits 12 strippers in it...

That's my phiolosophy.

Last edited:
Down payment on a house
Design and build studio in the house,
if theres any money left after that I would buy a RADAR system, A nice console and some sweet outboard gear and mics.

I would have it designed professionally, order a customized computer, buy some dope monitors, cop an mpc 1000, a motif xs8, Protools, a bunch of sound modules, Cubase, a decent mixer, a good turntable, and thats basically it since college is already paid for.

J-Rock Productions said:
I would have it designed professionally, order a customized computer, buy some dope monitors, cop an mpc 1000, a motif xs8, Protools, a bunch of sound modules, Cubase, a decent mixer, a good turntable, and thats basically it since college is already paid for.

You can save some money by reading up on studio design and acoustics and bouncing some design ideas back and forth on the Recording Studio Design Forum. And then if you are handy, build what you can and contract the rest out. Leaves more money for hardware. :cheers:

I'd but a very nice console, some great ad and da converters, a good mic collection, and record in a perfectly square room.

j/p

Back