::I need some advice on soundproofing::

Gutty502

Ok, ive priced what i need, but im confused

every setup ive seen online has foam panels not covering the whole wall, is this for a good reason other then saving money? cuz i have the money to cover all my walls with this sound acoustic foam, and bass trap every spot where the walls meet and corners

sooo....if i have the money, should i cover everything? or should it be used sparingly?

I use bed pads from Walmart in my setup. Works well and it doesn't neutralize the room. The sound doesn't drop. Original club beat battle anyone? I made a thread...

Last edited:
Gutty502 said:
Ok, ive priced what i need, but im confused

every setup ive seen online has foam panels not covering the whole wall, is this for a good reason other then saving money? cuz i have the money to cover all my walls with this sound acoustic foam, and bass trap every spot where the walls meet and corners

sooo....if i have the money, should i cover everything? or should it be used sparingly?

Nothing wrong with foam...it just shouldn't be the *only* thing you use in your room treatment plan. Use 4" or 6" bass traps to handle the low end, then 2" panels at the reflection points. If there's still some high end ringing in the room, then apply the foam where needed. Just be aware that not all foam is created equal...only buy the good stuff...the cheap stuff is useless. It'll make things worse, not better.

I'd get it done all at one time if you can. If you check out the link posted further up, take a look at the room setup....that'll let you know what you need and where to put it.

Frank

yea i got bass traps priced in my setup, its gonna be more then 1000 for the panels and traps i need alone

just make sure you do A LOT of research before you go buying anything! If you use too much accoustic treatment it can over- deaden a room and therefore impare your mixing almost as much as if you had no treatment at all (i.e. the treatment will take out too many reflections and frequencies - especially the higher frequencies, depending on the materials used and the size/shape of your room etc.)!! I've been in rooms where people have used 'prfoessional' treatment techniques to the extreme (i.e. practically covered in foam etc.) and they end up with a s**t sound...if they had done their research in the first place they would have spent less money and had better results.

answerering your question more specifically:

Don't cover all your walls in treatment materials!
Each room needs treatment speciffic to it; one size doesn't fit all unfortunately
Don't get confused between accoustic treatment and sound proofing, they are two completely different things
Remember that having wall treatment is only part of the solution - having ceiling absorbers over the mixing desk is important too
It is also important to ensure your monitors are isolated too. This usually means having speaker stands filled with led shot or sand and/or monitor isolation pads under your monitors.

If you really want to do it right I'd suggest doing some research into standing waves and 'nodes' and get some knowledge about how sound travels (i.e. differeing frequenies and their size and speed of travel) and what products are good at controlling what frequencies. There is a hell of a lot to take in, but by doing so you're going to be making sure you do it right first time. It might even pay to save some more cash and hire a professional to come over and tell you what needs to go where.

I hope this helps a bit!

Back