I need a new sound card...

Northern_Fist

I could use some of your advice... I'm looking for something that will do two key things for me:

1. Lower the load on my CPU when running multiple tracks.

2. Good, low latency. I'm tired of my MIDI controller being unable to record my inspiration live due to timing constraints between my physical touch and the computer's response.

Price Range: somewhere around $150 to $200.

At first, I was looking around at the sound cards at M-Audio, and they seem to get the job done. I have a Dell Pentium 4 running at about 2.6 GHrtz. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Northern_Fist said:

I think you might need to upgrade your CPU and memory to fix this.

2. Good, low latency. I'm tired of my MIDI controller being unable to record my inspiration live due to timing constraints between my physical touch and the computer's response.

You can look at the Emu 1210, the M-Audio Delta or the Echo MIA are around your price range and are pretty good with the latency times (a lot of people on here seem to think that).

HEY DUDE.... I'M RUNNING DELTA 1010 LT AND THE 24/96 AUDIOPHILE AND NEVER HSD A PROBLEM!!!!!! EVER I RUN A P4 2.0 GHZ....W/NUENDO THE GREAT THING ABOUT M AUDIO IS THEY ARE ALL SYNC-ABLE... NEED MORE IN/OUT ADD ANOTHER AS YOU CAN AFFORD IT ....REALLY THEY ARE GREAT W/0 LATENCY... MY BUFFER IS AT 512 I THINK YOU MAY HAVE TO EXPERIMENT A LITTLE....CHEERS AND GOOD HUNTING!! ... GREYSTOKE

Can you please take the caps off when you type? It it is annoying to read like that.

Thanks.

Northern_Fist said:

only one card fits this criteria, yamaha DS2416

Ah yes the Yamaha DSP factory - nice suggestion. You'll not get one new, but it is a very solid bit of kit which runs only on its own DSP power. Team it up with the SW1000XG soundcard for the complete system, which like any good bit of pro kit, will keep performing as required so don't let the age of the items get you down.

I changed mine for a 1010lt as it had the inputs I needed, but I really miss knowing I have that hardware in there - am going to be getting a Powercore Elements card to replace what it did - I am personally a big fan of having DSP in your system to handle the effects.

best wishes

Pauly V

Back