I need help on midi and acid pro

D

DjAquasia

I have a huge question. How does Midi work? The sounds I make on my synth, will it sound the same when I record them into acid Pro 3.0? And can I send songs at a time to acid pro str8 from my synth? Please, if you can help, I'd appreciate it sooo much. Peace and Love, Ryan:monkey:

Welcome to the wonderful world of "conceptual barriers and damn I wish I'd known this 3 years ago." ;)

In other words, welcome to electronic music. :)

MIDI - Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

This, of course, explains it all, now, doesn't it?

MIDI is a language that different devices (synthesizers, sequencers, samplers etc.) use to speak with one another to eventually have something musical happen.

Alone, MIDI makes no music. It's akin to HTML and the tags there-in. Using HTML, you tell a browser how to display things so a web-page comes up. MIDI is used so that you (or a sequencer) can tell a Synthesizer or Sampler what sound to play, what note to play it at, for how long, and quite a few other things are possible.

What you record into Acid isn't technically going to be the MIDI information, but the sound that the synthesizer has created after being told to do so via MIDI.

I know I can ramble a bit... so ask some more. :)

???

Thanks, but one thing....huh???? I'm sorry, I'm just really uptight about this, I don't understand. How am I able to take complete songs from my synth to my computer? Am I even able too? I just can't see myself working on all I have worked on all over again just to get it how I want it AGAIN. I'm sorry I can't give you help or anything in return, but I really do respect any info I could get from you. Thanks so much, Peace and Love, Ryan

So you currently have a synth that has a sequencer on it?

If so, what you would do is look up the procedures in your synth's manual to do what's called a MIDI-Dump. This will send the sequenced material in MIDI Format to whatever sequencer you have on your computer (Cakewalk, Cubase, Logic, etc) so it can then read the information and talk with your synth to reproduce it.

Unfortunately, Acid is not a MIDI sequencer. It can only arrange previously recorded audio files.

As for just getting the Audio from your synth to Acid...

If you just want to hear what you've done, you just need to hit "Play" on your keyboard, make sure it's Audio out is plugged in to your Line In of your soundcard and hit "Record" on whatever audio recording software you have... Acid can do that.

But that will be ALL the parts of your song.

If you want to have each part recorded seperately, you'll need to mute each individual channel and repeat this process.

Ask more. :)

Ok, I'm still just so confused, sorry. I need to get a computer program like Cubase? Now, I've heard midi songs online, is it going to sound like that. Songs online seem so computer game made or something. I want my songs to have the sound they have now. I have about 16 songs and I just can't see them as midi. Is that sort of understandable? And when I do send them to a sequencer on my computer, It's not going to be in the format of my song? I have to put everything in order? Sorry for more questions again, I just really need help and don't have many people to turn to. Thanks in advance, Peace and Love, Ryan

Ok, we'll back up a few steps. :)

What is the non-computer equipment that you currently have?

Are you looking to be able to edit these songs further when they're on your computer or are you just looking to be able to burn them?

:)

Ok, I have a yamaha ex7 synthesizer, an amplifier, and a little 8 track digital mixing station. All I really want is to add vocals to like 13 out of the 16 songs that I have, but my vocals have to be edited on the computer so I can change them, roboticize them, etc. But, all in all, the songs themselves, I want to keep them how they are; I don't want to change them.

Your mixer is plugged into your computer right?

Given that, this is what I would do:
(I understand this is going to add a bit to the process, but desiring to add the vocals, and proper production techniques really do point to this solution... then again I'm not an official pro. :) )

Plug your EX7's audio out into your mixer.
Bring up a song you've got.
Mute all channels on the EX7 except for one channel.
Play the song, make sure the levels on the mixer aren't clipping (getting up to 0db).
Open up Sound Forge or whichever audio program you have that will record audio from your soundcard's Line In.
Check the levels again. Make sure that at no point is the audio clipping.
Hit record on Sound Forge (Or equivelant) and play on the EX7.
Save the resulting wav.
This will allow all the sounds from the EX7 to be used.
Repeat this for each channel that's used for the song.
Record the vocals.
You can then open up Acid or any other multitracking program you have.
Import the wavs you've recorded from the EX7 into the program.
Put each one on it's own track
This part sucks, but you'll want to make sure that each one starts at the right point so they're all synced (Anyone with a suggestion on how to do this most efficiently?)
You can then use the mixing functions of the program (Acid) to set the levels for each track individually and even create changes over time.
Export the project as a mixed wav file
Open soundforge or same, normalize the song. Using a dynamics compressor if available, add suitable compression and normalize again.
Burn to CD.

:)

If I've missed something or you'd like more detail, feel free. :)

Ok, thank you so much, I'll look into that, but it may be a while because I haven't delt much with my soundcard and don't know too much about it, so this may take a few weeks before I get back to you. Thank you so much, your help is phenomenal and I will definately have your name on my first cd that ever makes it online or in the world, promise ;) Peace and Love till next time, Ryan

lol Woohoo!

Hey, no problem at all. And any time you got a question just let it fly. If I don't know the answer someone else will.

I received an e-mail about 7-8 months ago telling me that someone had responded to a question of mine on some forum. I followed the link to the question and found it was a question I'd asked 3 years prior to it being answered. hehehehe

It's nice to get help. :)

Back