I Have An Odd Request But Need Someone Who Can Design A Top Dollar Studio

A

AEGPROMO

very very crazy circomstances. I may have been picked for a tv show to get some money to make my dream come true. I want to build a studio top of the line for rap/r&b production/recording/mixing and mastering.

If anyone has any knowledge please get at me on aim

Sweet!! Congrats to ya!

How much money... I could a blow mill in about 30 minutes on studio gear. :cool:

What workflow do you want... 4 different studios?, networked computers for track transfers? or just 1 room that does it all
Can your budget include a foyer with 106cm lcd tv for xbox360

Do you want a recording studio? or more of a project studio.. controller keyboard, sound modules, drum machines.
Do you want to run software plug ins, outboard modular synths....

Can you us some detailed guidelines?

im not sure how much money id get, I know the show makes you pitch your idea to a bunch of millionaires and if you got your **** together they give you the money.

the type of studio i want is for rap/r&b, what im planing on is one MAIN control room and vocal booth (like the majors) and a pre production room (mpc, triton, something for producers to go in and make some fire, or rappers/singers to go in and get the rough drafts down!)

I of course want all computers in the facility to be linked.

I want the dopest mics for rap/r&b vocals
everything to run off Protools HD
ima have a lounge with a big ass lcd and of course the 360!

I know how i want it just dont know **** about equipment (i know how to use boards and pro tools so id want to buy what i KNOW i can use)

As for samplers and all that i need whats comon for rap/r&b

thanks!

I Have An Odd Request But Need Someone Who Can Design A Top Dollar Studio
I have designed and oversaw construction of low to medium budget commercial facilities. If you're looking for a "top of the line" setup, look to spending a few hundred thousand *just on the blueprints* and materials estimates. You could probably get a Sayers design for a $10-20,000 which will do quite well.

But I guarantee you, you aren't going to find someone to blueprint a space and put together a rig list on spec.

You can equip a decent mastering room for under $100k.

You can certainly equip a quality recording facility for the same.

But construction costs and design plans are another story... The last place I designed, which was nice - Not amazing - Just a medium-budget project studio, had a construction price tag of around $250,000. Gear (again, nothing spectacular) was probably another $100k. And no mastering room to speak of - That wasn't in the budget. The control room doubled as the mastering room, which is inherently a really, really bad idea.

Of course, acceptable quality recording gear has come down in price quite a bit - Mainly recorders. Digital decks 10 years ago were $5k each for 8 channels. Now, a powerful computer will do the same for $5k by itself. A decent selection of outboard preamps negates the need for a recording console, but the price of a good selection of preamps is about the same as a "good" quality console.

In *any* case, you're going to need a fairly solid game plan and a lot of research before you can even begin your research. :bigeyes:

massive thanks for the output! Im sure they will hire the contractor to construct the studio, im just more or less looking for an idea of what to tell them as far as gear goes. I wont be doing much mastering (im not good at it) The facility id like to create would be used to record rap/r&b I would prob hire mixers and mastering studios to do that anyway!

Get Icon D-Control... with 80 channels :)
ATC SCM300ASL Pro main monitors :monkey:

The question is simply too big

My suggestion would be sit with pencil and paper, draw a basic layout.
Search the forums, tweaks, online stores, manufacturers websites etc to get some great ideas. Then make it all fit.
Then redraw the whole thing, do more research, redraw, etc.

When you've got something you really like. Stick it up here and ppl can give criticism and perhaps some other ideas.

Some things to consider.
You main room would run protools hd. Does the production suite run it as well?
Will their be a separte studio for mastering.
Computer network infrastructure, probably need a file server to prevent drains on workstartions when copying. is there a better option?
Where are the cable runs, do they avoid power runs?
Soundproofing between studios, and acoustic treatment, acoustics in general.
Can the gear in production suite be linked directly to the control room? would it even be useful?
Hidy hole for the er... stash, plenty of old vinyl in the lounge :angel:
Vibe lighting a must
+ heaps more

Remember architects can be really dumb. if it ever gets to that stage. Demand to see all bluepronts and check them with a fine tooth comb.
Contractors can be the same, keep an eye on them. They like short cuts.

But I think the biggest issue will be the pitch!!
You need a gimick, something that would make your facility far more attractive than others.
You'll need to demostrate that this facility will make money.

thanks for ther imput! I made a quick sketch of what Im going for! now the lounge and office **** im not worried about Im just more worried about getting the right equipment 1) i can learn to use and 2) sound good!

mystudio.jpg

Cool, good start, I don't like it... but that's me
Personal opinion:
I'd ditch the conference room, and have an open plan Lounge, kitchen blah blah
The foyer is way too big, only needs to be a tiny space at the main entrance.
No production suite?
The control room is not symetrical with the vocal booth there. I'd stick the booth where the machine room is and make it smaller.
I;d also have the office's at the front of building.
I know it's just a rough sketch, but your walls have to way thicker.

Alrighty, Mostly for yourself, make a list of all the equipment you know how to use.
Doesn't need to be super specific. if you can use one compressor, you can use 'em all.

then list the the stuff you don't know how to use but think would be useful. And find out how long it'll take you to learn it (this is going to take a lot of research). If it's too long, leave it out.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say last post. get out and see as many studio's as you can. See if you get in on some sessions to see the workflow.

(A) You're only going to record vocals?!? No live room?!?

(B) You're going to try to record vocals in a broom closet?!?

A "vocal booth" is a room - A *SMALL* vocal booth is perhaps 9x11 or so.

^ After reading up about this show, I have to agree.

I'd be focusing on a solid business plan first. Even then, your going to need something very unique about this studio.

Last edited:
If you were actually thinking about getting money from those guys you'd need to be running a fully functional, financially sound studio already. They never give money for ideas..

Back