i have 415$ to spend, help me out

PtheGhost

i just got 415$ and im startin my "mini" studio, i plan on buying a mixer, and i think id feel more comfortable with mixing beats on some kinda multi track recorder, any suggestions on that??

i have an ensoniq eps16+ and a turntable already, so if anyone could help on a multi track recorder within like 280-300$??

Last edited:
Stay away from the Lexicon ... too many incompatibilities.

It probably works just fine, but I'd be scared of it.

The fostex MR8 is only 8 tracks, it will be very limited but you can still record some decent demo's with it.

You can also try the

Boss BR864 ($395.00) It is a little more than $300 but its under $415.

Or you can get a Roland vs-880 workstation on ebay for about ($250) used.

I suggest you save up a bit more and get like a 16 track DAW. 8 is going to leave you very little room to breathe with.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Bouncing tracks is an option but at a cost.

If you bounce lets say 5 drum tracks into 2 tracks (stereo). What would you do if you had to make something louder? or lower?

That would be very heart wrenching to even think that you have to redo drums, especially when you have tracks 3-8 filled up already.

There are ways to fix it without sacrificing tracks, but it is a painstaking process.

Stay away from the Lexicon ... too many incompatibilities.

It probably works just fine, but I'd be scared of it.

The funny thing about the lexicon is a friend of mine asked me about it and I felt so iffy about it but he bought it any way and loves it. His stuff sounds good but I still don't know if I could co-sign it yet.

krushing said:

I still remember the times when a four-track cassette recorder was a gift from the gods :D

Hahahaha Yeah I remember that too. :)

Then the almighty cassette 8 track was even more godly.

He's right, but there are some good cheap recorders too but for a lil morethe fostex VF160 is like 700 and you can maybe get it even cheaper used, it comes with a cd burner and a built in fx chip....

I would think, and this is just my opinion, that software programs for recording would be a better choice than any multitrackers under $2500.00 (or even more than that) but again, just my opinion.

The SP-606 is a good choice on a lot of different levels...mainly, because you could record vocals on it and usb it to the computer...YOu'll just need the mic and a mic preamp with 1/4 inch out. :) I've done vocals on a Boss SP-505 before and save it and transfered it to the computer and then from there to the MV-8000...Guerilla producing... :D

ZANY said:
He's right, but there are some good cheap recorders too but for a lil morethe fostex VF160 is like 700 and you can maybe get it even cheaper used, it comes with a cd burner and a built in fx chip....

i cant spend money like that, and trusty thanks for the tips,

and i want a condensor, what is this i hear about needing a phantom power??

yeah true, the sp 606 is a better choice, and you can get a preamp with phantom power....

Back