humming in my monitors?

kittles'n'bits

I just set up my behringer truth 2031A monitors. when i turn them on they hum a bunch nonstop and they pick up what sounds to me like the radio. What's happening and how can i fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard of quite a few cases where people can hear the radio through their Truths...

This is a quote from a user review on MusiciansFriend:
I have a pair of these and they sound great. They have plenty of power and are crystal clear, unless... I am one of the few who have had a problem with the dreaded RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). When it happens it is horrible. I can even tell what song is playing and on which local FM station. It is absolutely unbearable and I tried all kinds of a/c filters and even ferrite rings. I even tried an aluminum foil cover around the amp! Nothing helped. Finally I moved them to another location and the problem was TOTALLY gone. Weird. I have gone through several sets of monitors and would recommend these to a friend as long as you have the ability to send back if you can't get rid of the RFI issue.

And a google search reveals other cases... not sure if a solution is contained in this lot somewhere?
http://www.google.com/search?q=behr...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

One tip I noticed was:
I recommend using ONLY balanced (TRS or XLR) connector cables. Otherwise you may get radio signals, picked up by the connector cables. If you use unbalanced, be sure they are fully shielded.

Last edited:
I can't hear radio in mine, but there is a high pitched buzzing. Sorta like when you install a car stereo with all the cables running down one side of the car, then when you accelerate it buzzes up and down. I was going to try separating the cables, or even some sort of line filter/conditioner. Im unsure if its actually a problem with truths. However , i've used the same speakers in 3 different houses, and the problem is consistently the same.

Last edited:
Well, as far apart as they can be i guess? I'm using guitar leads which i have no idea if they are balanced, how do i tell?

heres a pic

Currentsetup.jpg

The right monitor cable appears to be hanging almost right top of the two 4way powerboxs. If you move it far away from them, does that help?

I'm not certain thats what causing it, just a possible theory.

yea funny i just noticed that as i posted it

Just moved them all so they are separate, but still seems to be doing it. It intermittently happens, although in pro tools it makes noise when i move the mouse. I think there might be two problems with a similiar symptom.

Hmmm interesting - the mouse causing noise in your speakers leads me to believe it's not actually to do with the cables, but instead something internal within your computer? I presume its a wired mouse? (Not wireless?)

Do you have an internal PCI soundcard? What sort is it?

Are you able to try shifting the soundcard to another PCI slot, as far away as possible from where it currently is?

I remember hearing about someone shifting a soundcard from slot 5 to slot 1 (or vice versa) and having that fix an electrical interference type issue like this....

wireless mouse, no pci card. Onboard soundcard that is disabled in cmos, i use my 002 as my interface for PT and for regular audio tasks.

I'm stumped =\

I appreciate the replies though

Ah right, I wonder if the wireless mouse is causing interference via the unbalanced cables? (In a similiar manner to others getting radio station interference)?

wreckd said:
I can't hear radio in mine, but there is a high pitched buzzing. Sorta like when you install a car stereo with all the cables running down one side of the car, then when you accelerate it buzzes up and down. I was going to try separating the cables, or even some sort of line filter/conditioner. Im unsure if its actually a problem with truths. However , i've used the same speakers in 3 different houses, and the problem is consistently the same.
Try a different outlet. I was having the exact problem you are having. When I hooked my equipment up to a different outlet, the humming stopped.

Last edited:
i would try unhooking the mouse and see if it makes a difference. You can never go wrong with a power conditioner too. Do they buzz when they arent plugged into the interface? How about when they are plugged into the Digi002 with the 002 on and the computer off... I would work through every kink in the chain until you find the problem. Hook one thing up at a time and turn them on one at a time and see if you get a buzzing.

i might have the solution this was happening to me aswell what i did was opened my volume control panel
click cked on options on the top right of the window then clicked properties then in the window where it says "show the following volume controls" click all the boxes so they all show then hit ok then mute things like phone and other stuff and see if it stops buzzing

I had a high buz sound from mine at one point... it turned out to be the printer????!!!!

When ever the printer was pluged into the power it made the sound... lost me on why that is. HP Photo printer, Windows XP, M-Audio sound card (PCI)

Back