HR824 - Treated room yet still hard to hear sub.

A.M.C

Hi Guys,

I have a problem Im hoping to get some advice from on this forum.

I just bought some HR824s Mk1s as I have used them loads in friends studios and love the clarity in frequencies, especially sub.

However when using them in my room where im sitting its hard to hear the sub at all. If I move back about half a metre I can hear it, in fact when i move back half a metre mixes tend to sound quite different from where im normally sitting.

I have a room which I treated acoustically my self.

Walls have RW40 rock wool insulation and special acoustic plaster board.

I have built bass traps that are 3 inch thick and are on all walls and a large one behind desk.

The speakers are on my desk on special stands i built and I have auralex pads under them and are about and inch from the trap behind.

I have the setting on the 824s set to being close to walls.

The room I have isnt very big.

With all those details can someone help me so that I can get on with my music as this just sounds so strange compared to my previous monitors and also when I have used them in studios before.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
details?

H x W x L of your room for a start

treatment already applied to the room: what and where - floor plan and elevation would be useful

sub crossover freq?

sometimes i dont hear my bass in my monitors or sub its more of a feeling iff u get that negative frequency youll do fine and side chain ,eq, just to get that right thump for ur bass ,it all depends u dont want it overpowering or drowning the drums so eq an level out bro .i think u just need too adjust ur mix..

Nah my mixes were ok before and are okish now. Im not saying im the best producer but its not the problem.

Its like the traps behind are sucking all the sub out and the sweet spot in my room has suddenly gone back about half a metre.

Last edited:
still need room dimensions and floor plan/elevation - understanding what your room is going to do and how you attempted to treat it is important in identifying what has gone wrong or right in the room as of now - the sweet spot moving is a result of the additional structures you have put into the room

just practice till u get that right sound for you , cause in thee end it doesnt matter what the listener hears its all your ,sound what your lookin for in general..

Back