How should I spend my tax return?

vanlaz0r

So I'm relatively new to hip hop production, i've been mixing together random beats almost everyday for about a year now. The only gear I have is a broke-ass laptop with an Oxygen49 midi controller and a set of 5:1 logitech speakers. I'm looking to spend some cash but I'm not sure what my first big purchase should be. These are the things I'm considering:
- Studio Monitors
- Building a music production PC
- Reasoncourses.com? If anyone has experience with these classes let me know what you thought.

If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Is there anything right now that you are suffering for the effect of not having? Depending on the condition of your PC that may be where to start seeing it is the core of your setup.

Personally, I'd go with replacing your computer. You can still at least make music with even the shittiest speakers or even earbuds, but you can't make anything with a computer that might be on its last leg... and even if it's not exactly knocking on death's door, it's always good to stay at least a little bit up-to-date with computing technology. You're going to have a hard time running new software, or even just larger projects on a computer that doesn't work well or at all.

I'd stay away from paying for online classes for Reason or any other software. I'm sure they have their benefits, but there are so many tutorials on just about every aspect of every modern DAW on YouTube that to me it seems kind of silly to pay for pretty much the same material. Sure, some tutorials on YouTube are great, and some are shit... but if I'm going to pay for instruction, I'd prefer it to be hands-on/in-person.

Last edited:
replace the computer $400-$800
and buy some hi-fi speaker and a home stereo amp/reciever for about $150 on amazon/ebay

don't worry about the Reason tutorial use Youtube till you can use money from your job later down the line

-Coach Antonio

This is a great informational post! I enjoyed reading this material. Thank you for putting a unique spin on this topic and giving me more factors to consider. I like your views and your style.

I suggest a new computer and FL, cause FL is excellente for hip hop production. I'd get the Fruity Edition ($100) to start off with and start messing around with it. Download some free drum kits and start playing with your Midi controller. Learn how to set things up on FL by watchin video tutorials on Youtube. (Especially Warbeats) and when your ready upgrade, get the producer edition, and then you can start recording and choppin up samples with Edison.

Back