How into making Music are you?

Q

Qadesh

Hey,

Like anyone else getting into production and becoming obsessed with learning how it all works I'm starting to think that this is all I want to do.

*I'm a Freshman in college now but probably wont becoming back next year for finacial reasons.

*What do you guys do to support your selves

* Do you think before jumping into this with all my energy I should think of how I'm going to support myself?

* Or sould I just have faith that it will work out, go back home and just learn the program make music and try to learn the piano?

What are some of your positions with the reality of how it is?
Do you guys have a regular job?
And music on the side?

I just need a little help in thinking about what I'm doing.

Peace

first.... never give up!

seconds...

well, you should have distance to yourself and your music. the music you make is not from you ! try to think in that way as you hear the sound from another artist. so you will be able to give right ideas and check the mixingfailures.

this will happen: you will sit there, having no ideas, you are not sure about the sounds fat or not. so take a break .... and rejoin the first point (!!) if you are not sure - dont ask any friends, ask yourself - otherwise you always have to ask friends. but dont ignore their mind completly. you simply have to be sure, so the sound will get sure.

last....always finish your tracks. that will make you learning.

for me thats the most important...:bat:

yeah I know, it's just sometimes you wonder what the fu<k your doing with your "life". You just have to realize that what happens in your head to getting you thinking off track is just cemical and not you. I know now i following the right thing, but sometimes I get depressed, as everyone does.
Any way, I just herd from my man KaeoFLUX from MV who is now in Boston working. He is on some ill sh!t, check out the web site at

www.Komadose.com

*sperd the word

Thanlks a lot, Qadesh

Not to be discouraging, but you've got to be able to pay the bills if you want to buy gear with which to produce music. I was in a similar situation that you are in, a couple of years ago. I knew that music was my first love, and likely always would be. However, being realistic, I knew how difficult it is to make a living at it (especially with electronic music in North America). I finished school, and now I work as a web developer, which I (thankfully) also love, and produce music on the side for a UK record label. There are many benefits to this:
  • The money I make from music is just icing on the cake and can be devoted entirely to buying new gear!
  • Anytime I've had a sh*tty day or week, music is my therapy. Upon reflection, I don't think I'd want to do music full time, because it would make it too much like a job, and it would become stressful.
  • This also keeps my music more true to myself. Since I don't need to produce it to pay the bills, it can be music that I enjoy, not what others enjoy. It really doesn't matter if anyone else likes it or not, as long as I enjoy doing it!
Don't mean to ramble, but this topic hit pretty close to home for me. Think long, hard, and realistically before you decide to devote your life to music! I hope I've given you a little bit of insight. Good luck with whatever you decide!
alex

*if you can't go back to school next just because you can't afford it... go talk to the financial aid people at your school and tell them that. They will most likely give you the money you need to keep going there. One of my friend's had both her sisters going to college at once and one year her parent's wouldn't have been able to pay for both sisters to go, so they told the school and the school was like "ok, we'll give you a break" and they got the extra money they needed.
and most schools do that... well, actually all schools do that. They'd rather have a little less of your money than no money at all. Be cool stay in school :)

*I have a part time (well almost full time) job doing data entry kinda stuff.

*yes, think about money.. but don't let a lack of money stop you. plan your finances, and shop around for the best gear for the least amount of $$. Find out only what you really need and get ONLY what you really need. If you already have what you really need, don't buy anything else.

and also give this a LOT of thought.. talk to your family/friends, because they will probably be able to help you more.

I admire your courage to jump in it with both feet. I took d 'cop out' safe approach ie i kept my day job and saved a lot of money and lost it all and finally got a brilliant job and now can afford to buy all d gear i ever wanted. Took me 12 years to get here but i aint regretting one moment. Like d scientist says, don't give up!
Peace

I tried to make a living of music for a year or so but got tired of macaroni and my old gear. Now I have a full time job in a book store and a part time job home testing software at nights couple hours a day.

Not as much time for music making as I'd like, but still I can squeeze in an hour here and there (you can sleep when you're dead).

My plan is to save / invest a pile of money for about a year and then upgrade my studio straight from level 2 to 101. :D

Btw. music is what I've been doing since a kid - I studied computer science for 2 years but it's not really for me - so hopefully music's what I'll be living on someday.

Toni L.
www.mp3.com/NativeAlien

I know all about it

I've been, and often am in the same situation. When I realized that all I wanted to do with my whole life was sit in a small room and play with machines that made noises, I had to do a few years of readjusting my mind and my life. When I started out, I had no job, no where to live (my girlfriends house), and no stable, practical future. I bugged my parents enough to give me some of the money I had left from breaking my back in a car accident, and purchased my first synth without knowing what the hell I was doing at all. I bought pieces of equipment which now that know what I'm doing a little I realize were not the best choices at all.
Anyway, to make this a short story (cuz its a very long one), I started living in a broken down trailer that should have been condemned, got a computer and moved my **** into a tiny little bedroom. I had no job, and recieved a check monthly for $250. I paid the rent and electric, had no phone, and had a few dollars left to occasionally feed myself and my girlfriend (who has amazingly stuck with me from the begginning). I was home 7 days a week to make music, and I lived like this for about 1 year. I have since then learned alot about computers, work as a technician/network consultant, have moved into a nice place, and worked out my studio to fit my needs.
My point is however, personally I do not in any way regret those days and the much harder days that followed, and would do it all over again. If you're going to be any good at this craft, it takes time,patience,and determination more than anything else. If it really matters to you, I say YES! put it before everything. Do not sacrifice something that make life worth living to you in anyway, just because it is expected of you to do the 'practical thing' and put it on the back burner, or give it up altogether. The people that expect you to do this are simply not as fortunate as you to have something they take satisfaction in dedicating their life to. Concentrate on what is impoortant to you, and **** everything else. It just all comes down to what needs and additional interests you have in your life. Do you like drugs? Food? Nice cars? nice clothes? Entertainment? All of this you have to consider, because if you do need any of these things, then you will have to meet these needs and not dedicate yourself as much to your music.
Personally, I realized that pretty much everything but making music was unnecessary, and therefore I was wasting my time doing anything else. I mean "realistically" I suppose you have to be able to satisfy all of your living needs, but I'm saying examine these needs closely, and see if you really give a damn about any of them or just feel like you should. Then cut the unecessary ones out, and enjoy your free time! NEVER GIVE UP! I know I wont.

yo

Word up Stasis- That'll get me started

if i wanted to i could get financial aid next year to some state school, declare business cause it's the "practical" move I could.

I would also be unhappy, and have a unfulfilling life.

And besides, who's to say with how shady our economy is that "realistically" it would be wiser to get a "business" degree (example) than pursue my passion for the "non practical" music career. Truth is we don't know what's "practical" anymore. And I'm just trying to do what I love.

( I wrote this whole elaborate message, and fvcking lost it ! sucks. ill try to duplicate my best.)

Any way ... uh?

oh,

Stay sure once you've committed yourself !! indecisive feelings will go up and down. just know that it will come back up.
get that extra adhesive you need to stick to your plan of making music, wether it be girls, or production forums. but don't stop trying. TIME - PRACTICE - FAITH. right? right.

that's pretty much what I've gathered so far.

thanks for everything -

PS: stay posted on your situations-

imagine you are alone ....

imagine theres nothing....
.... than a few electronics and studiolights, maybe a poster of "pulp fiction" behind the mixer......

hours for hours ..... sounds for sounds..... the phone is ringing: "no i dont wanna go to cinema - i found a fatt bassdrum today..."

its all in your head, your mind only discusses with your mind.

since i have startet to make music, i have found out much about myself. my mind and my feelings. cause it was the realy first time i had to make individual terms. so i used do learn where i am, what i am, what i want. and specially: what i not want !

so i got the envied think called "self -knowlegde" and "confidence".

its not important to make music.

its important to make anything on your own. otherwise
you will always do thinks which you are told to do.

like: have a good job, stay clean, buy the new levis 509, drink cocacola, and make hollyday at spain-beaches.

the most humans just do blind lifestyles not realizing what thinks theiy are able to do and what really happens.

an example for our unsnappy society: the us-government and microsoft told the whole world that a softwarevirus called "code-red" is very dangerous for any systems and veryone should download a patch from microsoft.com. to safe the own pc for this virus - related to the I LOVE YOU -one.

so....tell me what this patch realy is. and i show you how easy it is to mock "inteligent" soceity

cheers:cheers:

If you want to keep your music and your love of music pure -- don't mix it with money.

The music business -- from the clubs and raves on up to the record company boardrooms -- is a filthy business. At some levels a lot of it is driven by drug money and the need to launder it. Even little labels run by guys/gals just like you and me rip off their artists left and right -- they usually feel they have to -- "to survive."

Way too many people make their money off the unfulfillable dreams of would-be "stars" who are convinced if they can just get that perfect demo or vid that they'll shoot to the top. By the time they realize how wrong they were they're out of money -- and sometimes so are their parents and friends who loaned them money for a "sure thing."

But even when the music can be sold, all too often the money evaporates before it gets to the artist, dying "the death of a thousand cuts." People like Courtney Love aren't making that stuff up...

Okay, that said ... there are jobs making music or working with it from a technical end but they are hard to come by and you really need to be drilled in to get them. You don't necessarily have to go to school but you really need to know your stuff. Be prepared to work for MacDonald's wages to 'pay your dues.' If you want to make money there are easier ways to do it.

Keep making music --for sure. But really think about what you want from music and then be prepared to work for it. Maybe that means working as a gofer in a studio for 7 bucks an hour and hustlng coffee for people who think they're big stars -- maybe it means finding a day job you can be satisfied and comfortable with and working on your music in your spare time (something you might not have much of if you try to wiggle into the music biz.)

This all might sound pretty sour -- but I've been in and around the music biz for over twenty years -- and it's better to take this bitter medicine now than later after your youth and your money are gone.

Last edited:
Back