how do you protect your gears

N

newcentury

hi guys
just wondering since I use my studio almost everday, how can i protect my gears. such as mic, keyboard, multitrack recorders, etc. I found it very irritating that you have to screw the mic off the stand and put it back to the bag every night, do you guys do that everytime?

3 things that are religion if you want your gear to be as good as new.
1. Power distributor for all your gear , protects against grounding, hum, loops, surges and spikes.
2. Switch gear cleaner for all the inputs/outputs of your gear
3. Anti static sheet to cover all your gear with.

With regards to mics, always place them back in the box, it's not about keeping dust off but if you knock the thing down and it has a sensitive coil in there, then it's 'later mic'.

Samplecraze said:

With regards to mics, always place them back in the box, it's not about keeping dust off but if you knock the thing down and it has a sensitive coil in there, then it's 'later mic'.

co-sign.

i lost a gang of mics like that. makes you wanna cry.

Ouch
Eyecrazy.gif

I must admit that I've been considering asking this same question for quite some time, particularly in relation to microphones.
So, am I to understand that I don't really have to worry about storing my mics after each use if knocking them over is not a concern?
My mic stands are quite sturdy, and I am extremely careful.
My mics are at greatest risk when I have others using my studio.
I haven't dropped an expensive mic in 20+ years. So, in my case, is there any real need to dismount my mics?
Doing so really does annoy me.

It's all about just being careful. If , for example, you have the mics hooked up to your mixer and you forget to turn down the faders on powerdown and you come back the next day and switch everything on and you hear a pop when the amp kicks in, then that can damage sensitive coils in mics. Condensers and always at risk. But as you seem to have them well protected and safely screwed to the stands, then no real worries, just a precaution to bear in mind. Believe me, I have heard so many mics 'go' because of powering up mixers whilst faders are up on the mic groups.

I'm honest.

there is an small piece of pizza over one of my synths.
other one have a couple of beer empty cans over it.

this one has a lot of weed ashes inside the keys, and there is an small lizard living under the power plant, maybe he likes there because its warm.

I have bought several headphones, cause they are always on the floor.

yeah, i've had to pick bud out of the platter of my turntables a couple time.

where can i get anti static sheets?

I always hear the amp clicking every time I turn on my mic, this is a sign of damaging the mic, is it? how can I tell if the mic is distorted or been damaged?

waxrebo said:

where can i get anti static sheets?

Circuit City????

Well, I was working on a Press on North Carolina during winter. They had lots of those sheets everywhere, cause the paper always got stuck on the cilinders with the static. Also there is a spray that you put on a blanket and clean the electric devices.

Back